Peculiar buzzing/clipping on recorded guitar track

drossxyu

I am micing a Fender Blues Jr. with an SM58 that's hooked into a Presonus Studio Channel Preamp. This is output into my Motu Ultralite mk3 which is hooked via firewire to my PC and recorded via Cubase 5 in Windows 7 64-bit. The VU meter on my pre-amp does not indicate any clipping not does the input level within cubase. The waveform does not appear to have any clipping either. Does this type of buzzing sound like anything to you guys? Maybe it's not clipping but it certainly sounds unpleasant. I've bypassed all of my pedals at this point and there is only a slight amount of gain ( like .5) in there.

Here's a clip:

Edit:

Ok, so I went back to guitar center and exchanged my amp for a new one. They said that 'tube rattle' was most likely the cause. I tested it out before hand and did notice this buzzy distortion I had been hearing and brought it home. I also picked up a new sm57 to replace my old sm58... I did another recording and I am still noticing this annoying distorted static-y tinge..

It just doesn't sound natural to me..

Any help would be much appreciated!

New development:

It seems like this crackle I'm hearing only happens when using the neck and bridge pick-ups on my guitar (both seymour duncan humbuckers). This recording alternates between my middle single coil and my neck humbucker. You can clearly hear the gross crackle after-taste:

Is this a natural humbucker quirk or is my guitar in need of repairs?

Sounds more like bad-line distortion than clipping/crackling. Either your humbuckers or the pickup switch itself may be at fault. Try recording DI (no amp/mic) and see if the nose is still there. Have another guitar to try?

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have another guitar and I actually hear it on all the pick-ups, but definitely to a lesser degree on the single coil. I've tried going straight into my soundcard and it's very apparent.

I think you may have hit the nail - you said DI into the soundcard still had the noise? Are you still using the built-in soundcard for everything, normally? Shouldn't the Motu take over that function when it is firewired in? (I assume it is used as the actual soundcard, but maybe not?)

Back