panning mono tracks for stereo mixdown

Hello smg,

I apologize: Upon reading your reply I reviewed the DP008EX manual. I see on pages 49-52 that the Undo function allows for bounced tracks to be undone; I was in error on this and, again, apologize for not furthering you toward your goals.

Does this feature allow you to undo bounced tracks even after those vacated tracks are overwritten with a new recording? I cannot distinguish this well in the manual.

It's a DP24SD. I'm just beginning to apply what I've been learning (from tutorials).

Sincerely, JeffF.

No need to apologize man-appreciate the discourse...

Un/redo works across the board..anything that is stored in the operations history is able to be undone by going back to a previous event + restoring the unit's state then-however when you shutdown the history is erased....so I set the auto shutdown function off + leave the unit on for a few days when working on something....

Another thing to be aware of when doing a lot of tracking/re-recording processes for a given track like I've been doing.... due to issues w/both /sync(my approach involves recording tracks from a drum machine/keyboard using the Tascam built in metronome to set up 2 bars at the beginning of the track as well as having a snare or kick on the track beginning used to sync the timing....sometimes it takes a few times to get the timing right)as well as deciding to change the instrument/drum kit component sound once I hear it in the mix.....is that the unit memory fills up if you do this a lot and depending on what's going on w/the SD card storage you might suddenly get a "card full "pop-up message when recording...then you have to delete some things in the history...so if you might want to use the in/refo it's a good idea to write down which operation it was so you can return. to it...

I have to spend some time studying the manual to figure out how the SD card formatting works... I set it up a couple years ago when I first got the unit to record some things but don't remember what I did...on my" to do" list ..been involved in other aspects of the overall production process like working on the settings for the kick drum to see how to get different types of sounds for it instead...

I went into detail hereabout the un/redo because your unit does the sane thing....in fact its very similar to the one I have in many aspects...I know this because coincidentally a few days ago after the posts by Miroslav about stereo/mono tracking I wanted to see what kinds of options were available on other models and downloaded the DP24SD manual which I went through...to see what it does and what I can apply to my approach....

Its a nice unit and I plan to upgrade to it when possible...

You have the mono/stereo tracking options as well as the EQ/MBC settings like I have...from the manual I couldn't tell the specific track input MBC capacity but I saw the EQ allows for more detailed settings including Q....
When I got the DP-008FX I didn't have a developed sense of howi I was going to record the tracks I was developing the material for and thought 8 tracks w/the bounce capacity etc would be more than enough...
However now that I've gotten into things in actual reality I see the 24SD would have been better ....mainly because unlike the types of processes I've gone into in my posts here describing an approach to setting up a lot if tracks on the unit I have now.... I'd be able to record both stereo tracks as well as mono....
as well as have everything on individial tracks that could be adjusted in terms of panning /levels throughout the making of the complete track instead of having to combine tracks to make space for new ones....really the DP-008EX is a good unit but for less complex recording processes than what I'm doing...

What did you decide re-BB approach from the initial posts yesterday..?

Last edited:
See you edited the post again(#81)after I replied to it..appreciate the suggestions/details for expanding my approach to use Audacity w/every track ....+ once I do start using it( as outlined in reply) I'll definitely use the info you posted about things...thx again for doing this...

Just wanted to mention an important factor in my approach....really not about being at the library trying to get things done on the public computers past a certain point vs. here in my studio which leads to focused concentration...these computers are all on a big table w/people right next to you... invariably one is talking to themselves etc...usual types of things you'd expect...maybe another branch will be better- this is the main downtown one + I think a lot of homeless people use it to play games on,watch videos etc....just saw they had Audacity on it when I went to use it one time...past that haven't spent any time messing w/it..prefer working on things here...and right now a computer isn' t on the list of things to get...just use my phone to go online....

Hello smg,

I hope this does not distract from your original request for support, which may yet be unmet.

I will seek to plainly correct those mistakes for others who may have read reply #81, referencing the manual linked below:

1) I was of inaccuracy about the Undo function not usable with the Master track (page 63, under Note, in the DP008EX manual). Whether there is any function that places the Master in a state it cannot be undone I am unaware.

2) I did not realize the unit can create a WAV file (page 62).

For anyone seeking to verify the DP008EX manual references, here is the manufacturer's link for this unit: Product: DP-008EX | TASCAM

I trust members will recognize how the Undo function is usable as you described it to me.

Separately, smg, thank you for the insights shared on process.

If I can be of service to you, the Tascam manufacturer's website has a list of tested SD cards (for their portastudio models). Here is that link (under section DP008EX Tested media List). Please note the results (of testing) column to the far right on that page. However, it was last updated in 2015: Product: DP-008EX | TASCAM

About the DP24SD, there is a YouTube series tutorial by a gentleman named Phil Tipping; other forum members--in the Tascam forum on this site--have also found it comprehensive as well. It may give you an overview of the unit's capacity before buying: Tascam DP24/32SD Tutorial 1: Introduction - YouTube

Not to slight my errors aforementioned, I will seek to carefully review technical content before posting in the future.

Thank you for your patience in my recognizing of my errors, JeffF.

Last edited:
No worries man...this forum isn't about tripping off people's inadvertent mistakes or posting stuff that they decide to correct later or clarify etc but instead a supportive place for people to share info/get feedback etc...you don't need to treat it like you were in martial arts training and have to bow down to the sensei or something(!!!)...everybody's laid back here...no stress just happy to have ongoing discussion even if only periphally related to the thread subject....
Here's something I'd be interested in knowing-
Have you done any recording yet with the DP-SD24 where you used mono and stereo tracking in combination?If so (and you made the stereo master track from this) how did you like the results?

Kind words! Don't know why I'm so constipated these days in anything electronically communicated.

I scaled the last reply back a bit to make it at least readable for others--since you already saw my sincerity in it. I did add links on it to be of some service, hopefully, to you.

So far, I've been technically learning of the DP24SD via the posted tutorial as well as a purchased instruction video.

I intend to learn a basic understanding of stereo theory a bit more before recording with 2 mics--"know the rules before breaking them" thought.

Didn't you ask on the thread about a technique of changing something of parameters of the same source laid down on 2 tracks to get a stereo-like effect?

I recall reading an article on this, but did not give it much thought at the time as I'll be using 2 mics when recording in stereo. I didn't save that article, but I have read of it. So there is an approach based on changing some parameters to create differing sonic dynamics of the same source placed on 2 tracks: Not truly stereo, but that doesn't mean it may not be a usable technique for a particular effect in its own right.

You may find the following resource helpful for mixing tips in general: YouTube. About the above technique It was a typed article, so it wouldn't have been on this site.

Thanks for reminding me to relax--JeffF.

Last edited:
What about the " replicating the actual drum set layout "approach where you have the snare @ about 15% L relative to the kick in the center,hihat @ 25%,L etc...

This may seem axiomatic, but it's worth pointing out that that's only " replicating the actual drum set layout " if the listener [sic] is standing directly in front of the center of the kick drum.

One thing I got into experimenting with a few years back was what I called "bass player's perspective" where the midline of your bilateral drumset perspective passed diagonally through the kit ...but such that both the center of the kick drum and the center of the snare drum wound up dead center.

(Presuming a right-handed drummer: If you draw this diagonal line starting at stage right, the kick and snare are literally dead center in the stereo image, although the snare is behind the kick. If you draw this diagonal line starting at stage left, the kick and snare are just slightly to either side of dead center, but equidistant...and you get the added bonus that as the toms descend in pitch they get farther away from the "listener".)

Note, all of this was achieved with a coincident stereo array out in front of the kit in lieu of overheads.

Hey Bob-
Dont think you saw my post in reply to your first one here when I started the thread-I tried to find the article you wrote on Recording Mag.site but no luck;do you have it available to check out online anywhere?

Hey Bob-
Dont think you saw my post in reply to your first one here when I started the thread-I tried to find the article you wrote on Recording Mag.site but no luck;do you have it available to check out online anywhere?

If it's not on Recording Magazine's online archives I'm not sure where else it might be hosted; I don't have an independent site for my old writings. Send me a PM and I'll try to scan a copy for you.

Back