Are PADs for XLR-in on an audio interface necessary for recording an electric guitar?

bansheeboogaloo

Hi all, I'm trying to research but I'm very new to recording and I'm getting a little bit confused. My goal is to record some videos of myself playing guitar, and I want to get the best audio possible. Up until now, I've just been using my iPhone and a tripod haha!

I'm planning to buy a Two Notes Torpedo Captor X as it seems like the best option for me since I'm in a condo and can't be too loud and also don't want to buy a bunch of mics and have to deal with all the setup etc. The Captor X has two XLR outputs, so I know I'll need to buy an audio interface. However, in my research I've come across some conflicting information:

The video "Tutorial: Home Recording On A Budget" by Riffs, Beards, and Gear (I can't put a link because I just made this account) made me think that pads are crucial, after googling to find out what they are. But the article "Why You Should Consider Using a DI Box" on Fender's website says that a DI box (which I think the Captor X might be as well?) will balance out that signal to make the interface happy, so maybe I might be ok getting an interface without pads.

I'm just trying to make sure that my recordings don't become super clippy or anything. Will I be ok with an interface without pads or are they necessary?

Right now I'm thinking of the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 because it's pretty much the updated version of the one in the tutorial video. But seeing as my only goal is to record guitar parts, 4ins and outs might be a bit more that what I need. So if PAD buttons aren't totally necessary to record through the Captor X, then I might be able to save some money.

Also, does anyone have experience with the Captor X? All the videos I've watched just skip over the "connect it to the audio interface" part, and I've noticed that they all have cables plugged into both outputs. Is this necessary or can I just use one cable to plug into the interface?

One final question, I saw a post on here where someone was told he'd need an XLR to trs cable, is that something I will need or will I be ok with a normal mic cable?

As the Captor X functions as a DI, you can connect it via XLR to XLR to an interface.

You don't need to pad the signal.

At the moment you might think you will only record guitar parts, but that5 may change, so you may was well go for the 4i4.

Yep, most of the popular interfaces need mic inputs, but virtually all do a splendid job with guitars, synths, and practically any bit of kit you have. Guitar specific devices are fine, but like many people on here, you kick yourself when you need something unexpected you didn't plan for. Buy a normal interface.

Pads are useful if your 1/4" signal going into the DI is too loud.

e.g. I use a Smokey amp for tone (one of those pocket-sized ones powered by a 9v). The signal coming out of the amp is speaker-level, which is too hot to DI, so I'll use the pad on the DI to get it to a manageable level.

You almost never need a XLR to 1/4" adapter cable. Usually, such a cable will just be a noisy hack

The Captor X is a DI designed specifically yo accept speaker-level signal from an amp, and it doesn't have a pad (nor does it need one).

The interface shouldn't need a pad (and indeed most haven't got them).

The Captor X should function like every other DI, i.e. XLR out to XLR in.

I plugged the stereo DI from my Line 6 Spider IV into my 8i6 for the first time the other day with a straight TS-TS cable. Had to keep the master volume down, but the sound was surprisingly good, no pad. I had done it previously with a stereo splitter to two channels on my Tascam interface, again no pad. I still prefer miking the speaker, though.

The Captor X is a USB interface itself but how versatile it is compared to a conventional interface I cannot say.
The spec also gives the maximum XLR output at +15dBu and that is way above the input most AI mic inputs can handle by at least 10dB so a couple of 20dB XLR pads would not go amiss IMO. The Captor is quite a bit of kit but I suspect you could be boggled by all those cabinet and mic sims? It is also expensive at nearly half a bag.

I suggest you buy just the 4i4 (yes! Get as versatile, well connected AI as you can afford, you will only be hissed off later on at things you can't do...AND the MIDI will be handy, trust me!) and play with the amp sim software in say Reaper. You will also find a whole world of cheap/free amp sim software on line.

You will go into the high impedance 'instrument' input but a cheapo, passive DI is also worth a do for a different 'colour'.

Don't think you said what your amp is? Might have a line out, most likely FX send?

Dave.

The Captor X is a USB interface itself but how versatile it is compared to a conventional interface I cannot say.

This is a tricky one.

I note that on one site it refers to the Captor X as being an 'interface', yet I can find no reference to this in Two Notes documentation for te unit. Instyead, I note how USB is used to control the operation of the unit in various ways.

The manual is silent on its use as an audio interface.

torpedo_captor_x:torpedo_captor_x_user_s_manual [User's manuals]

This is a tricky one.

I note that on one site it refers to the Captor X as being an 'interface', yet I can find no reference to this in Two Notes documentation for te unit. Instyead, I note how USB is used to control the operation of the unit in various ways.

The manual is silent on its use as an audio interface.

torpedo_captor_x:torpedo_captor_x_user_s_manual [User's manuals]

Yes sir! A more detailed read tells me the same, the Captor software, MIDI and updates go through USB but not audio.

So, since you need an AI anyway it seems even more sensible to me to get the 4i4 first and, as I said, give Reaper and other software a go. Indeed, for half the price of that load box you could buy several guitar related apps.

Dave.

Back