Is it overkill to use a Fethead with a DBX 286s mic preamp to provide more gain?

sega2020

Hi there,

I recently purchased a DBX 286s microphone preamp to use with my Shure SM7B and Focusrite 2i2. Although I have been happy with the extra gain I can achieve by using the 286s I have heard of people using a Fethead with the 286s at the same time to get even more gain and also to reduce the noise floor.

I'm just wondering is it common for people to use these two things at the same time or would it be overkill? I read somewhere that Shure recommends that you use at least 60 decibels of gain with the SM7B to make sure the signal is strong enough. The 286s provides 60db of gain but I wonder would I benefit from using a FetHead with the 286s also as it provides another 20db of gain approximately?

Does anybody have any experience with using these two things together or perhaps using something similar like a Cloudlifter with a preamp that is similar to the 286s?

Kind regards

It depends. If you're whispering from three feet away, you'll probably benefit from extra gain. If you're screaming with your lips on the foam, you probably won't. I'm not sure if the net result of using an external gain booster will yield lower noise, but I can see that as a possibility.

Sega,
I currently use the CL1 with my Symetrix 528e, whenever I use my SM7B or RE-20. I had the older 286A, as my old rig. However, it is not in my current audio chain.
Dale

Sega,
I currently use the CL1 with my Symetrix 528e, whenever I use my SM7B or RE-20. I had the older 286A, as my old rig. However, it is not in my current audio chain.
Dale

May I ask why you don't use the Symetrix exclusively? What made you decide to add the CL1 to your audio chain? Also do you use an audio interface with the 528e and the CL1?

I took delivery of a Fethead just over a week ago and my initial tests are rather inconclusive.

First of all it seems the phantom power from my NI KA6 is too weak to power it. Once I have established that as a fact I shall be onto Native Instruments! Powering it from a PPower box it seems the extra gain is only useful if your AI is lacking in low noise gain? That is, the extra signal improves the overall signal to noise ratio. This does not 'seem' to be the case with the KA6 as it already has a very quiet mic pre.

As I say, I need to do more tests.

Oil be bek!

Dave.

Yes, I use the CL1 with a SM7-dynamic into a MicPreamp.
Ive been doing that a lot recently mainly because the CL1 is easier to plug different mics into...instead of turning the rack mounts around and fumbling with the Input jacks the CL1 sits on the desktop and mic connection is right there.

It works fine and is no different than having a extra gain stage in the circuit.

My data shows the Preamp alone would be normally be set around 75-90% full gain VS.. with the "Cl1 & Preamp" the gain knob is set 30-45% of full gain.

The Cloudlifter is a little Active amp circuit from their Active Ribbon mic. So your preamp is getting nothing odd or special at the Input, it just makes your dynamic mic similar to a active-mic level.

I haven't used my 286s in a good number of years, but when I tried using an SM7b with it, I seem to recall the gain needed to be pushed up considerable high in order to get to where the threshold of the compressor started to allow compression and then the noise of the 286s preamp started to show up so I then used the gate to 'hide' the noise. A FetHead alleviated the noise as then there was adequate signal to keep the 286s gain lower and have enough signal for the compressor to work as it should. Condensers or dynamics with hot outputs seemed to be OK with the 286s.
I'm not shy about using the FetHead with the SM7b and use it most all the time regardless of the preamp I use. The input of the FetHead is high impedance and does alter the frequency response and sound of a dynamic mic. For my voice it does it in a good way.

Hey Dave....
First of all it seems the phantom power from my NI KA6 is too weak to power it.
This surprises me!! I've got a Zoom H4n that doesn't do well with dynamic mics with high gain on the H4n, so I use the FetHead with it. The FetHead doesn't have a problem with the phantom juice provided from the H4n, but it does eat batteries much quicker. I think I read the H4n can do 3ma of phantom, which I would think your KA6 should be able to do(?)

May I ask why you don't use the Symetrix exclusively? What made you decide to add the CL1 to your audio chain? Also do you use an audio interface with the 528e and the CL1?

Sega,
Although the 528 pre is solid and quiet for my condensor mics, it max-s out at 60dB of gain; and like CoolCat mentioned with his, it lets me back the 528’s gain down to 30-45%. I chose the CL1, again like CoolCat, ease of access. I do use an interface... the Audient iD22. That model has a really good preamp (& Burr Brown converters), yet allows me a line in, to bypass the 22’s preamp. Stand-alone, the iD22 is quite capable, on its own. However, I have just had good luck getting a signal that I think best reproduces my voice, using the 528.
Dale

Last edited:
Back