Outboard Channel Strip into a Onboard Pre-Amp

CoolCat

What is the best way to run my Outboard Channel Strip into the DAW?

any inputs appreciated.

Seems there's several options?

1) Run the Outboard-Preamp output into the DAW (gain at 0).

2) Run the Outboard-Preamp output into my A/D then a DO into the 2488 DI.

3) Run the Mic into the 2488 and run a Send to the Pre-Amp and bring it back in on the Return.

edit: no one? hmm? :confused: maybe I should have put Behringer bashing comments in here..seems to get more replys?

or in other words....i'm wondering is it common to run a pre-amp output into a channel/ pre-amp ?

Last edited:
Mic->Pre->Line Level input on A/D Converter.

Not sure what the 2488 is, and my head hurts trying to figure out what the heck you mean by #3.

OK, I'm guessing the 2488 is one of those Roland all-in-one units, and you're trying to use an outboard preamp and bypass the pres on the Roland. Just use a LINE input on the Roland. This should bypass the Roland's pres. As for using an external A/D converter, that would depend on whether the external unit is better than the ones on the Roland. You'll have to try both ways. Remember, the signal has to be converted to digital somewhere, and some units do it better than others.

This is signal-flow/gain-staging 101, so hopefully you can figure it out. Good luck!

hey thanks, your right the 2488 is like a Roland "wonder box".

I have a Shure SM7>Joe Meek VC1Q balanced out>??2488.

tried a few different ways of routing and just wanted to ask.

It never seemed right going from a PRe into another PRe.

fyi, my A/D is the TC Electronics M-300 or the 2488 Tascam. (24bit/24track Roland type DAW) i guess their about the same A/D converters?

Line in, ok. that wasn't even thought of.
so this is how pros route these outboard pre-amps... interesting. :cool:

Btw, don't be afraid to run from preamp to preamp. A lot of useful tone can be achieved that way, and it is pretty common practice for certain engineers etc... Just watch your I/O levels pretty well so you don't slam the second preamp.

Back