Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on mobile recording setup upgrades?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Wow! Can you actually hear what some of those are doing? I've probably just lost touch with some styles that need this much processing.

Thanks
    I do 80% live Church service praise and worship. 2 of my sons write and record Christian and easy listening music - mostly sappy love songs. That's another 10%. The rest is the occasional studio client. If I can and when I have time, I will post a couple of my mixes for criticism. I mean critique.

Thanks
    Maybe you need this computer? Only Kidding.

deep_thought-jpg

Or the one that comes after.

Thanks

Here is a couple of things my son and I did this week

Please criticize the mixes, but try to be constructive. Things like - terrible mix or - the worst mix I've ever heard don't help me to get better. I know many of you make your living in music. I do not and have no aspirations to. I'm almost 60 years old. Also, please stick to criticizing the mix. My son Nathan is a pro, only in the sense that he makes a 'living' as a worship pastor at a small Church. He is playing all the instruments and is self taught. I already know he is not a Nashville musician. I started this small studio so that me and my family could share our love of music with our family and friends. Nothing more. There are about 70 plugins in use on the love song. The soundtrack was put together for a friend and was recorded with a Motif.
    Thanks,
    Adam

PS I hope the mp3's attached. I told you I am technically challenged. My pics are upside down for crying out loud. LOL.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    It sounds nice.

The acoustic guitar, being so present, is one of the weaker parts, unfortunately, to my ear.

I have no idea why it requires so many plugins. I don't hear anything that requires anything more than the basics and some chorus on the guitar, a little delay. What is it that you need? (Is the vocal harmony real or generated?)

And, what you've made here is what is sometimes referred to as a sausage. The loudness wars are over, man. You've crushed some of the life out of the mix IMO.

screen-shot-2019-02-23-9-42-33-am-png

screen-shot-2019-02-23-9-41-13-am-png

You should be finalizing that mix to about -14dB (LUFS) or even less if going to iTunes. When it gets normalized down on some folks phones/ipods it will lose a lot. It's even hot for CD (again IMO) for this type of content.

P.S. I might be a decade older than you. My wife reminds me occasionally that I'm an old man ("fool" I think is the word she uses...), but, you know it's [almost] all in your head
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

6. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for that. You are right. I try to get mixes loud. To -.2. I will remix it as you suggest. That is all real harmony by my son. Stacked and panned.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Greene View Post
    Thanks for that. You are right. I try to get mixes loud. To -.2. I will remix it as you suggest. That is all real harmony by my son. Stacked and panned.
    It's not just the peak, which you've exceeded quite a bit, but the compression that's overdone here.

I'd start by taking all FX off the master bus (ok, if you must, a little "glue" compression, no more than say 2:1 and maybe a dB makup), so you end up with a more dynamic mix. Then, get that so when you bounce it down to non-lossy stereo you've got at least 6dB left to play with before you crank it up to a finalized/pseudo-mastered version, doing that in a separate project, applying your limiter to raise the average loudness (use a loudness "meter" plugin - probably in every DAW by now) to your target. I set my hard/true peak limit at -0.5. When it's converted to lossy format, it almost always pushes it another .1, or you can normalize to 0 in that step if you must. (I don't think the vast majority can hear the difference in a mix that's limited at -0.5 vs. 0.0, but there probably are a few.) Anyway, the point is to finalize to a consistent loudness, and not a peak. If your loudness is achieved while your peaks are at -2.0dBFS, you've probably overcompressed everything from the gitgo, IMO.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    It's not just the peak, which you've exceeded quite a bit, but the compression that's overdone here.

I'd start by taking all FX off the master bus (ok, if you must, a little "glue" compression, no more than say 2:1 and maybe a dB makup), so you end up with a more dynamic mix. Then, get that so when you bounce it down to non-lossy stereo you've got at least 6dB left to play with before you crank it up to a finalized/pseudo-mastered version, doing that in a separate project, applying your limiter to raise the average loudness (use a loudness "meter" plugin - probably in every DAW by now) to your target. I set my hard/true peak limit at -0.5. When it's converted to lossy format, it almost always pushes it another .1, or you can normalize to 0 in that step if you must. (I don't think the vast majority can hear the difference in a mix that's limited at -0.5 vs. 0.0, but there probably are a few.) Anyway, the point is to finalize to a consistent loudness, and not a peak. If your loudness is achieved while your peaks are at -2.0dBFS, you've probably overcompressed everything from the gitgo, IMO.

Other than the acoustic being too hot as far as balance. What else would you suggest?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Greene View Post
    Other than the acoustic being too hot as far as balance. What else would you suggest?
    It's not balance, just the tonality/quality of the track itself. It was just an impression that hit me - like why is this guitar track so noticeable? and the answer wasn't that it wasn't that it was really great *to my ears*. Could be exactly the way you and your son want it!

So, we're off on a tangent here, and what I'd suggest is that you go back to the *mix* and just do the usual kind of static mix with level, pan, eq, and then slowly add in just those fx you must have for the specific sound qualities you want in the mix/tracks. Go easy on the compression, again, except as needed for the sound you want. Every plugin should have a clear purpose for being there, and tested with in/out to confirm your decision. (Make notes on why you have each plugin on each track - might be clarifying!)

Leave the "mastering" steps out of your mixing and post up the mix on the MP3 Mixing Clinic sub-forum for comments from folks, i.e., before you get to the step where you're trying to make it as loud as possible.

Thanks
    That wasn't remotely what I expected, and I like the recording quality and the recording content. I like the musicianship and I like the singing. It's pretty loud throughout. I've no idea what the plugins are doing - you sure they really are doing something, but apart from being a bit powerful, I thinks it's a great job.

In fact, it sounds a little like those 90s rack processors the Aphex expanders, the big bottom device and the things people slapped on already good mixes to make them loud. Not always a bad thing I guess.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thread Information