Opinions on acoustic guitar

D

danny.guitar

Wondering what you guys think of the sound of this acoustic.

It was 2am, I was tired and had to play quietly, but I tried to get a full tone out of an otherwise, thin/bright/brittle sounding guitar, by using mic technique instead of EQ or other effects.

Let me know what you think. I didn't use any effects on it.

(And since this isn't really a song I thought I'd post here instead of the MP3 clinic).

(about 2 MB)

It sounded pretty nice, but maybe a bit too much soundhole "boom". If you could get rid of some of that, and maybe get a bit more definition on the high end, it would sound sweet...

This is just my subjective opinion though. That and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee....

Kind of boomy and sizzly, and has a resonance at 200 hz that jumps outs. I think I would be looking to bring out the mids more. How are you miking it?

this sounds really sweet, maybe yes a bit boomy in the low mids, but other than that it does sound good. like ben harper's guitar on his first album.

Some opions on the boom...only a touch. I say this that if you're planning to EQ it, be gentle. Same thing with the sizzle,..only a touch. Don't beat the soudn down. You've got nice sounding situation, good guitar, nice ambiance and a nice clean recording. A dab'll do ya.

punkin said:
Some opions on the boom...only a touch. I say this that if you're planning to EQ it, be gentle. Same thing with the sizzle,..only a touch. Don't beat the soudn down. You've got nice sounding situation, good guitar, nice ambiance and a nice clean recording. A dab'll do ya.

I agree with my esteemed colleague punkin's assessment. Also, the selection has that "lonely at midnight" feel to it. Kind of cool. What's the signal chain?

Thanks for the opinions. I was thinking there might be just a bit too much bass/boom. This guitar has no bass whatsoever so I have to mic real close to the sound hole. Maybe next time I'll back off it a bit.

Signal chain was:

Cort acoustic guitar -> Behringer ECM8000 Microphone -> M-Audio DMP3 -> M-Audio 2496 -> Reaper

Recorded at 96KHz/24-bit then brought down to 44.1/16 to MP3.

Maybe the sizzle could be diaphragm distortion on the mic? :confused: I also tracked it a bit too hot since I was tired and didn't care much about the levels, it was peaking at about -6db and averaging around -12.

I'll try another position and post another clip a little later so you can tell me if it's better.

i like it as it is honestly.

the only thing i hate, and i have a hard time with it myself is the pick noise when it hits the strings.

i play with lighter picks to cut back on it. i typically use 2.0mm, but for acoustic i cut back to .96mm and it's not as loud.

i dont know, not a big deal, part of an acoustic guitars sound, but it irritates me for some reason...

TragikRemix said:
i like it as it is honestly.

the only thing i hate, and i have a hard time with it myself is the pick noise when it hits the strings.

i play with lighter picks to cut back on it. i typically use 2.0mm, but for acoustic i cut back to .96mm and it's not as loud.

i dont know, not a big deal, part of an acoustic guitars sound, but it irritates me for some reason...

That's actually what I like about it.

I like hearing the pick noise and all the detail of the strings. To each his own I guess. ;)

Back