Odd microphone placements/uses

CaptainMordecai

The other day, I was trying to find some cool natural effects that would enhance the sound of my recording, and I tried some things that weren't that cool at all. However, I did try something cool:

I put a Behringer C-1 and some cheap dynamic vocal mic into the resonator pot of a banjo, bolted it back up and played my guitar a few feet away (I also used an MXL 910 to record the guitar without any effects, just to have the clean sound). The banjo strings vibrated from the sound of the guitar and made a really cool reverb sound. It added a ton of feeling to the recording, so I highly suggest doing this if you have time and the equipment.

What are some odd things you guys are doing?

When recording drums in a small room (e.g. a bedroom), a good way to get a nice "room" sound is to leave the door open a crack, and set up a mic elsewhere in the house. It's a nice way to get that "room" mic recording on your drums, without having a nice big room to record in.

When recording drums, if you have a big room, put the room mics on the floor and use some delay on them. A Steve Albini trick...

A mic placed at about the front leg of a kick drum, front and rear low freqs cancel and you're basically left with a 'tone of the shell track. It's a cool tone on its own that could be useful as a tone precessed, layered in with the kit.
I've only used it a few times as it doesn't much fit with the style of projects I had it in with the normal mics.

Back