Noob question from a not so....eh...noob?

Markaholic

heres the deal....Im the only guitarist in my band.
I have my mesa 1/2 stack and a rackmount modeler.
(i have more gear,but to keep it simple)
For live recordings....I'd like to have 2 seperate tones of the one performance, to my firepod. So ill put my trusty 57 on the cab,
which leads me to how can i get TO the amp AND the modeler at the same time? I was thinking a passive DI box is whats needed?

Basically, I need something that will split my dry signal to my amp AND the modeler at the same time so i can still play my amp like normal, but also have the dry signal run to the modeler,to the firepod. What do i need?
Hope that make sense...thanks for any help.

You might also try recording the amp and a dry DI track to use for reamping later, either through your amp or with the modeler.

You might want to give a Roland V-88 a try.

I used to have the Boss gt-6 and that had (2) outs...1 went to the amp and the other went to the modeler
(i didnt like the gt-6 modeling) which worked perfect! But i sold it and now i cant figure out how i should do this now.

I used to have the Boss gt-6 and that had (2) outs...1 went to the amp and the other went to the modeler
(i didnt like the gt-6 modeling) which worked perfect! But i sold it and now i cant figure out how i should do this now.
I second the A/B box.... I've used one to take my bass through my amp and DI into my multitracker. Works good. Just make sure that you get one that has the 3-way switch (A/B/A+B). I had one that didn't, which makes it worthless for what you are trying to do.

You might also try recording the amp and a dry DI track to use for reamping later, either through your amp or with the modeler.

This is would probably work best since it's easier to setup and you can spend as long as you want getting the perfect tone when you reamp.

I second the A/B box.... I've used one to take my bass through my amp and DI into my multitracker. Works good. Just make sure that you get one that has the 3-way switch (A/B/A+B). I had one that didn't, which makes it worthless for what you are trying to do.

Thanks..that is just what i needed....a lil bit pricey (for something thats just gonna record any live ideas that spring up)...but morley made a $50 dollar one that seems it will do the same!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-ABY-Channel-Switcher?sku=150757

Thanks again for everyones help..the re-amping idea will be the next thing into doing when the songs are finished and the tracking process has started!

:o

I just clicked on the first one that looked good. I am glad that you could find one though. I don't record my bass without it any more.

I also piggy back it with a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI that gives some killer tone. Since my mics are shite, most of the time, I use the DI track as the main, and bring the amped track up under it. Or I shitcan the amped track and just use the DI, with a little compression.

Back