Noise, ARGGG, Help:(

Nutdotnet

Hey yall, I need some help here. Here is my setup, lets say a Acoustic Guitar, going to a SM57 up close, and a KSM32 far away (Dual Micing), from there to a Presounus Bluetube Pre, then to a Presonus BlueMax Comp, from there going to a TB Santa Cruz Soundcard. I am using Vegas to record. I am getting so much noise (Air Noise), my noise floor in vegas with Nothing plugged into the Pre is and everything on the pre set to zero is about -66db, now if I put the "drive" and "gain" up to a recording level let say 20db on each the noise floor will jump to 48db. But then when I plug either the KSM32 or the SM57 into the pre and doesnt really seem to matter on what settings I use (Tried a bunch) to get it to a good recording level in vegas (About -1.0 db) my noise jumps to like 20db. I have no clue what I am doing wrong, its just way to much noise, I mean I can deal with some noise, but this is off the wall ya know.

lol, yeh there is a Line Level Adujstment, but no there isnt really a slider that you can turn up in vegas, and it is airy noise, I have tried putting the mic in a differnt room, same ammount of noise, and yeh I have tried to take the comp out, still same thing, and I am ussing Hosa TRS Cables. And some good (Well new) XLR's.

You just answered your own question.

Dump those Hosa cables and the stage-grade XLR cables and get some real cables.

Canare, Starquad, Monster, etc.

That should do the trick! ;)

Key word there is SHOULD. I have bought "high-quality" cables for other applications that were supposed to "fix" problems and all it did was cause me too lose some bucks.

Not to say that you are wrong or anything, but being a college student and all I need to make the best purchases possible.

Just kind of bummed out with buying all this equipment and not really being able to use it with this noise.

Hmmm, yeh I am going to try some stuff later today (This is nutdotnet), but even with no mics plugged in and the gain and drive up I still have a nosie floor of about 30 or so:( And I will try to fix that link.

Hmmm, what seems to be wrong with the link? DOes it not play? Because it downloads fine, (I just cant play it from my work comp:)

Ohhh, try RightClick and then Save Target As (Or Save as depending on which webbrowser you are using.)

I seem to recall from my youth that unloaded mic preamps have lots of noise. If you want to evaluate the preamp, make an XLR with 600 ohm resistive loads where the mic would be. I think all you need is a 600 ohm resistor between pins 2 & 3. Plug the dummy into the preamp and retest for noise.

Back