Needing advice about becoming an audio Engineer

Hmmmm.....

Wouldn't it be interesting if you could find a local studio that needed some part-time IT tech work done? Then you could work your way into the field that route, without having to go without food, and perhaps it would become your full-time job someday?!!

-Mr. Moon

Ahhh . . . words of wisdom from Mr. Moon.

Find a back door. How are you with sales? If there's anything a commercial studio needs right now, it's new clients. You mentioned you could be a plumber . . . which I understand was a joke, :D but what if you had that skill and offered it for free or at a discount to studios in exchange for some time behind the console?

I have a very small, modest studio, but I just had a leaky pipe the other day and water got all over the floor in one of my tracking rooms. Hell, I'd take on an intern if he didn't know jack shit about recording, but could stop a leak. :D I'd give plenty of free studio time to someone who could help redesign my web site. I'll even give a complimentary handjob if you're good with electronics, and can upgrade some of my gear.

If you have any construction/handiman skills, then I don't think there's a studio in the world who couldn't have at least some use for you.

My point is that you can very likely gain an advantage over the many thousand other applicants if you can bring something else to the table that would be of some use. Then, of course, you're going to have to have at least some basic sales skills to sell yourself and/or sell someone on the idea of why you would be an asset.

"Its hard to flush your brain of how an API work verses my Ramsa or a MXL V67G instead of a U67, like learning to walk again after having your legs torn from your body"

exactly right. I remember when I first started doing project studio consulting work and the mackies were just starting to come out. Those boards are really freaking confusing. I'd sit up late at night reading the manual and muttering to myself "what the fuck is this?" Mix B? Buttons shifting aux sends? tape returns and channels inputs on the same channels? Pots instead of faders for headphone mixes? Inserts using TRS Jacks? Jacks actually exist? I still forget how to use those god damn things. Seriously a large format console is so much easier to use than a mackie.

Back