Need a multi track recording machine for more than 2 tracks at same time...which one?

mikeit

Well guys need some help cause i am getting a little confused in here with these things..

I wanna buy a multi track record machine...i mean...i wanna go analog or digital instead of going for pc only...i explain...

I would like to record/capture outside pc then if i want to, i will transfer to pc to work anything on the final piece!

I wanna start recording more than 2 tracks at same time at least, i really need that, so no less than 2 tracks....but the problem starts here....i wanna buy a 2nd hand one....but cannot find anything that matches....i mean...i just dont know where to start...cause there are a lot of 2 tracks simultaneously but more than this its difficult to get...i mean...which brands/models...

So i was wondering buying a cassette multi track recorder or a digital (compact flash for example) and then i can upgrade it...i am pc geek....:cool::cool:too...so no problem with memory and bytes.....i just need anything to start with...

I dont wanna effects or anyhting that goes beyond basic controls..i mean...no need for that stuff...just wanna a nice multi track recorder that allows me to record more than 2 tracks at same time!

The problem is that i dont understand if this is really possible when looking for those old tape recorders...too..

Can u help???? THANKS!:cool::cool:

Many analog portastudios or digital multitracks that run more than 4 tracks tend to have simultaneous recording on 4 or more tracks. Some may only allow 2 mic inputs, but more line inputs.
Not all of these have facilities to transfer to computer but there are always ways around this. For example, with the AKAI DPS range {the 12i and the 16}, users have developed a thing called Deepstripper that enables you to get the tracks into the PC for processing.
It may be worth asking Miroslav {one of the users here}how he gets his stuff into his DAW because he tracks to tape and then processes in his DAW before mixing to tape.

Thanks a lot!
Do you mean that almost every multi track record that anounces 2 tracks at same time its just 2 mics at same time and usually the line in can be also used to record any other instrument too at same time as mics? And if need more than 2 mics, can i use an external device to do that? I mean i wanna start by having one device like the multi tracking recorder but then upgrade if i need to also to another devices that allow me to record in another ways.

THANKS

It depends !
For example, on my Tascam 488 you can record simultaneously on 4 of the 8 tracks. But only two of the inputs have preamps that enable you to use a mic. Because I didn't think in terms of external preamps back in the early 90s, it never occurred to me to try an external preamp and see if the line inputs would then work.
On the other hand, my AKAI DPS 12i has simultaneous recording on 8 tracks. But though there are 12 inputs, there are only 6 preamps so you can easilly do 6 tracks at once but to do 8, you have to use an optical cable and hard pan one side left and the other right.
So they're all different. You'd have to look at the specs on each machine to see what each will take and do. Have a look through some of the machines you'll see on this list. It may be of some help.

Look into a used TASCAM 2488. 8 inputs, 6 simultaneous recording channels.

Nope. The DP008 will only record 2 tracks at a time.
That's why I went for the Zoom R16, as it will allow you to record up to 8 tracks simultaneously, and act as an 8 in 2 out pc interface.
They are currently under £300 with a free condenser mic in the UK, so may not be within your budget,(did see some on eBay a little cheaper 2nd hand) but it works well for me and the icing on the cake was onboard fx including compressor and limiter, and 2 phantom powered channels, but all inputs are jack and xlr.
Hope this helps.

I had the Boss Br1180CD. There are new versions of this out now which I would say would be better. The pre-amps in mine were not good although the box as a whole was good for working with and easy to use. Loads of FXs and tech stuff in there.

i have a tascam us2000. 8 xlr inputs, 4 or 6 line inputs and digitals inputs as well. Everything can record at once. I have the 8 xlr's connect to the drums. I take a di for bass on 1 line in and have a cheap art tube mp for another line input. We use the line input for scratch tracks.

Works great and the unit cost us 349 US. It easy to use and flexible. Great for when you are not sure what you need live and want lots of scratch tracks

I think seeing he was asking about this in September 2011 he may have bought something by now or given up and got a girlfriend/wife.

Alan.

Back