Need a microphone for my voice-type.

conservativerk

Hey - I'm new here. I wanted to ask for advice about which type of microphone I should get for my vocals - I tend to lay it on pretty thick, if you know what I mean.

I plan on only really recording at home. I have a condenser at the moment, but there are problems with loudness for me. I think I may need a microphone with a greater decibel tolerance or something?

Can I link a dropbox address to a .wav here, so that people can glean what I mean by 'lay it on pretty thick'?

I don't want to buy another microphone that isn't going to be suitable - I'm currently using a Samson C03 (XLR) with a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre on Windows 10.

Thank you very much for reading this. ?

You need to be more specific than "problem with loudness" in order for anyone to suggest anything useful.

I'm not so sure how to word my problem, thank you very much. I get clipping whenever I power up my vocals, and I need a microphone that has greater tolerance for that sort of thing. Sure, I could stand far away and sing but then none of my softer vocals are picked up very well.

Thank you for your encouraging reply. :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure how to word my problem, thank you very much. I get clipping whenever I power up my vocals, and I need a microphone that has greater tolerance for that sort of thing. Sure, I could stand far away and sing but then none of my softer vocals are picked up very well.

Thank you for your encouraging reply. :rolleyes:

How hot are you recording?

I seriously doubt that you are overdriving the microphone. According to their specs, the Samson C03 has a max SPL of 142dB. I don't know of any singers who do that volume level (unless you're recording a jackhammer or jet engine). 130dB is actually painful.

If the signal is clipping in your software, then the obvious answer is to engage the 10dB pad, and then turn down input on the preamp. If you're using the mic without a pop filter, you could be getting air blasts. Get a good pop filter and back off the mic. Unless you're singing at less than a whisper, the the mic should be able to handle anything you put at it.

Just out of interest, what kind of music do you record ? How would you describe it ? Are there many instruments that you feel you need to be competing with ?

The samsons are pretty good and capable, I really cannot believe your voice explores both ends of their dynamic range, so too hot seems the likely reason, turn the gain down. Ive never had a singer who can't be recorded. Even those with no or dreadful mic technique. I guess an audio link would be an instant solution from most of us here, we'd spot it in a flash from a listen.

Sure, you're probably recording way too hot (waaaaaaayyyyy too hot if you're clipping).

But sure, you could probably use a SM7b also. :thumbs up:

I do not play instruments - I'm really just exploring with vocals and some small projects. I haven't sung in about three years, and I'm just beginning to get back into singing. I don't think I'm even really a 'singer', if you see what I mean, but I enjoy singing nonetheless.

Right now I am working on some amateur collaborations with friends. I've included a dropbox link - just a short a Capella burst from me. I get the clipping on any gain setting except very low... and then my softer singing isn't picked up, which is why I am singing so thickly/heavily. The gain knob on my Focusrite Clarett is typically set to 50%-60%, give or take. (10 markers)

Please don't judge me too harshly O.O I'm just a newbie to recording.

-edit- scrap that - I'm not allowed to post any kinds of links, images or videos until I 'post a few times'. -_-

Changing microphone you will not solve your problem!
If the Clarett goes in clipping, you HAVE to lower the gain. If the signal is too low when you sing quieter, this is not a problem. You can:
- Sing not too loud
- Sing not too quiet
- Sing closer to the microphone when you sing quieter
- Adjust dynamics in post production

- Turn the gain down on the interface so that it doesn't clip.
- Record at 24 bits
- Compress afterwards to tame the loud parts and bring the quiet parts up.

While I understand that the Claretts are better, Focusrite have made a few interfaces where the minimum gain is still too high to prevent clipping on very loud sources so it isn't unusual to need to have the gain set to minimum on a Focusrite interface.

You could try using a compressor before the Focusrite. It will lower the loud parts to prevent clipping.
That's not exactly how it works... Compressors are *line* level devices. A mic preamp is a *mic* level device. And even if you used it as an insertable device post-gain, if you're compressing to prevent clipping, you're already way (waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy) too hot in the first place.

thing is I found in a poor/acoustics room is the Compressor will bring up the noise/bad stuff like the fans and any other noises around, as it boosts the quiet as part of its function.

isn't a limiter better for clipping?

That's not exactly how it works... Compressors are *line* level devices. A mic preamp is a *mic* level device. And even if you used it as an insertable device post-gain, if you're compressing to prevent clipping, you're already way (waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy) too hot in the first place.

+1. The solution is in setting up the equipment correctly and, possibly, in mic technique.

Back