Need Help With Recording Several Mics Simultaneously!

1Drumz

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and recording in general (so have some patience with my cluelessness).
I am a drummer and wanted to start recording my instrument using 2 Overhead Condenser Mics, and two dynamic mics for snare and bass drum.
So assuming I have all the mics and right cables, what would I need to get to be able to record 3 individual tracks (1 for Bass drum mic, 1 for snare drum mic, and 1 for the 2 overheads) simultaneously on my DAW on a computer?
Am I correct in believing I need a 4X4 audio interface?

You got it! A 4x4 interface would do the job. Although a little room for growth never hurts, so maybe something with 8 or more inputs would be preferable, depending on your budget. You never know when you might go all Terry Bozzio and want 20 mics on your kit or something :)

You got it! A 4x4 interface would do the job. Although a little room for growth never hurts, so maybe something with 8 or more inputs would be preferable, depending on your budget. You never know when you might go all Terry Bozzio and want 20 mics on your kit or something :)

Thanks for the response!

But I don't quite get it. If, as I mentioned, I wanted to record 3 separate tracks simultaneously, wouldn't I also need to have 3 different outputs from my audio interface going to 3 different inputs on my computer? (I don't think my computer can do that)

Thanks for the response!

But I don't quite get it. If, as I mentioned, I wanted to record 3 separate tracks simultaneously, wouldn't I also need to have 3 different outputs from my audio interface going to 3 different inputs on my computer? (I don't think my computer can do that)

The audio interface connects to your computer via USB (or Thunderbolt, or FireWire) and it carries all of those signals to and from your computer. So if your interface has 4 inputs, your recording software (DAW) will see all 4 inputs over the USB connection. Then you can create 4 tracks in your DAW, assign one input to each track, and you're all good to go. Plug some headphones or monitors into the audio interface, and listen to playback from there.

Thanks for the response!

The output side of the interface is for listening to A) what's going into the computer and B) what's being played back. If you're recording live mics while playing along to tracks that are already in the computer, you'll want headphones rather than speakers, so playback isn't picked up by your mics. Pretty much every recording interface made has some provision for balancing the live inputs and the playback in your headphones to let you play along while recording the new tracks.

Analog inputs take audio from the outside world, digitize them and send them to the computer via USB or Thunderbolt or whatever (as Tadpui already covered).

Thanks for the response!

4 mics means there will be 4 tracks, or if you want, 2 mono (kick & snare) and 1 stereo (overheads), but still 4 mics are each creating their own audio signal.

The interface converts the audio to digital, and that can be about as many tracks as you can put into a converter, i.e., dozens. That goes into the computer via one single jack, most commonly USB.

For expansion, if you don't get an interface with 8 mic pres, get one with an ADAT (optical) input so you can add an 8x mic pre ADAT box when you decide you need a mic on the hi-hat and at least one on the toms, too, and maybe a 2nd on the kick, etc...

The audio interface connects to your computer via USB (or Thunderbolt, or FireWire) and it carries all of those signals to and from your computer. So if your interface has 4 inputs, your recording software (DAW) will see all 4 inputs over the USB connection. Then you can create 4 tracks in your DAW, assign one input to each track, and you're all good to go. Plug some headphones or monitors into the audio interface, and listen to playback from there.

Yeah that makes sense. Just got a bit confused with the outputs.

The output side of the interface is for listening to A) what's going into the computer and B) what's being played back. If you're recording live mics while playing along to tracks that are already in the computer, you'll want headphones rather than speakers, so playback isn't picked up by your mics. Pretty much every recording interface made has some provision for balancing the live inputs and the playback in your headphones to let you play along while recording the new tracks.

Analog inputs take audio from the outside world, digitize them and send them to the computer via USB or Thunderbolt or whatever (as Tadpui already covered).

Yeah that makes sense. Completely forgot that the audio interface has USB

4 mics means there will be 4 tracks, or if you want, 2 mono (kick & snare) and 1 stereo (overheads), but still 4 mics are each creating their own audio signal.

The interface converts the audio to digital, and that can be about as many tracks as you can put into a converter, i.e., dozens. That goes into the computer via one single jack, most commonly USB.

For expansion, if you don't get an interface with 8 mic pres, get one with an ADAT (optical) input so you can add an 8x mic pre ADAT box when you decide you need a mic on the hi-hat and at least one on the toms, too, and maybe a 2nd on the kick, etc...

Thanks for the advice on ADAT, though I have no idea what it stands for, it certainly sounds useful.
I will probably be getting an interface with 8 mic pres as they don't seem that much more expensive than those with only 4.

By the way, I know someone who could sell me one of these for cheap, could this be usable for what I've got planned or not so much?

Amazon.com: Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1602 Professional Multi-Purpose 16-Input Ultra-Low Noise Line Mixer: Gateway

Not so much. That's a line-level mixer, which is handy if you've got several line-level signals that you want to mix into a single stereo line-level signal. But it won't be much help in getting audio into or out of your computer. You'll definitely want an audio interface instead.

Yup, as others have said, you need at least 4 inputs, not 3. Kick, snare, OH L, OH R.

Here is an interface that will get you going. It comes with Cubase which is a good DAW program to start with.

TASCAM US-4x4 USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater

If you think you're going to need more inputs, there is this one.

TASCAM US-16x08 USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater

This is a starting place. You might consider other interfaces dependent on function vs budget.

After this, you'll need headphones, audio monitors, room treatment, etc.

Very hard to beat the prices on those new Behringer U-Phoria line models. I don't have any experience with that interface, but have used the ADA8200 (their 8x mic pre ADAT).

If budget is a concern, then it's really about features and what you can afford, new or used. Behringer has really changed the pricing on these, so I don't know that you'd manage a big savings going used. I mean, < $200 for an 8x interface?

Behringer has had a bad reputation for years for quality. They steal designs from other manufacturers then repackage the product using cheaper material for casings, knobs, electronics, etc. I believe they are getting better, but I'm still on the fence with them. However, that didn't stop me from purchasing their FOH mixer and multi-channel interface, the XR18. That thing is great.

I also, just yesterday, bought two Behringer stomp boxes; a tuner and a compressor. I plan to rip the guts out and combine them into one metal case. But that's for another thread.

Yeah, get the Behringer, it's a start. Then work on your room treatment. What mics do you have now?

Behringer vs Tascam Audio interface

So after digging around the internet for a bit, I found two audio interfaces I would be willing to spend some money on:

Either a NEW Behringer U-phoria UMC 1820 18x20 channel USB audio interface with 8 microphone inputs and 1 ADAT (200$)

or

since Chili mentioned Tascam:

A USED (but still good condition) Tascam US 1800 16x4 channel USB audio interface with 8 microphone inputs but NO ADAT (140$)

On paper the Behringer seems quite a bit better, but so many people seem to despise the quality of their products...

So what do you guys think?

[MENTION=201341]1Drumz[/MENTION], the most critical issue in getting up and running is compatibility with the OS and that means driver support for Windows, plus a DAW (software application to mix the tracks you're recording) to run on your computer. All those parts have to work together, and you need to understand how they work, and be able to ask coherent questions to get answers (vs. posting "this thing is a POS"), plus spend time learning how to use the interface properly and the mixing software. I don't know exactly where you are coming from, though the question about the line-level mixer makes me think it's from ground zero, so to speak.

So, the support that is available for your operating system is critical, and having good documentation helps, if you are willing to spend the time reading it. Behringer can be pretty skimpy, so you might go check their website (and any other interface/mfr you contemplate) for the user manual for interface, and see if you can find the driver they tell you to install for your operating system (assuming Windows). You don't want to find out after you get a great deal on an interface that the manufacturer doesn't support it on Windows 10 (e.g.).

Read through the manual and see if it makes sense. If not, look for help forums and FAQs that can answer questions that you might have about how you would hook things up, whether your PC is adequate, etc. (You might also get some help from the vendor, though many are semi-clueless.) Recording terminology, like dB, dBFS, line level, mic level, cable types, microphone types, etc., etc. are all things you'll need to have a handle on to articulate a question that will get a quick answer, and not devolve into 20 questions and increase your frustration, instead of getting you recording. There are books out there that will not be a waste of time, if you read those, too.

So after digging around the internet for a bit, I found two audio interfaces I would be willing to spend some money on:

Either a NEW Behringer U-phoria UMC 1820 18x20 channel USB audio interface with 8 microphone inputs and 1 ADAT (200$)

or

since Chili mentioned Tascam:

A USED (but still good condition) Tascam US 1800 16x4 channel USB audio interface with 8 microphone inputs but NO ADAT (140$)

On paper the Behringer seems quite a bit better, but so many people seem to despise the quality of their products...

So what do you guys think?

My recommendation is to not put ADAT into the equation. Unless you plan on tracking a large band all at once, you won't ever have the need to use it. Right now, you just want to record your drums. Don't over-complicate it and keep it as simple as possible. There is still so much to learn just doing what you're intending to do.

I'm not certain ADAT interfacing is that useful now, wuth that 8 channel limited system being replaced for so many purposes by Dante which keeps developing rapidly - with video integration now I note. I don't think I've used an ADAT light pipe for ten years now? I personally have it on many boxes here, but never use it!

Well, I suggested ADAT capability when OP was looking at a 4-mic-pre interface for recording drums, since that can quickly get limiting, and budget seems to be a constraint. I still think it's worth thinking about if you want to expand a 4-channel interface cheaply. A Dante-capable interface with 4 or 8 mic pres is probably not going to be in the OP's budget this year or next. But, I could be wrong - Behringer might announce one any day!

Back