Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Recording Several Mics Simultaneously!

Thanks

Need Help With Recording Several Mics Simultaneously!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and recording in general (so have some patience with my cluelessness).
    I am a drummer and wanted to start recording my instrument using 2 Overhead Condenser Mics, and two dynamic mics for snare and bass drum.
    So assuming I have all the mics and right cables, what would I need to get to be able to record 3 individual tracks (1 for Bass drum mic, 1 for snare drum mic, and 1 for the 2 overheads) simultaneously on my DAW on a computer?
    Am I correct in believing I need a 4X4 audio interface?

Thanks
    You got it! A 4x4 interface would do the job. Although a little room for growth never hurts, so maybe something with 8 or more inputs would be preferable, depending on your budget. You never know when you might go all Terry Bozzio and want 20 mics on your kit or something

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    You got it! A 4x4 interface would do the job. Although a little room for growth never hurts, so maybe something with 8 or more inputs would be preferable, depending on your budget. You never know when you might go all Terry Bozzio and want 20 mics on your kit or something
    Thanks for the response!

But I don't quite get it. If, as I mentioned, I wanted to record 3 separate tracks simultaneously, wouldn't I also need to have 3 different outputs from my audio interface going to 3 different inputs on my computer? (I don't think my computer can do that)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Drumz View Post
    Thanks for the response!

But I don't quite get it. If, as I mentioned, I wanted to record 3 separate tracks simultaneously, wouldn't I also need to have 3 different outputs from my audio interface going to 3 different inputs on my computer? (I don't think my computer can do that)
    The audio interface connects to your computer via USB (or Thunderbolt, or FireWire) and it carries all of those signals to and from your computer. So if your interface has 4 inputs, your recording software (DAW) will see all 4 inputs over the USB connection. Then you can create 4 tracks in your DAW, assign one input to each track, and you're all good to go. Plug some headphones or monitors into the audio interface, and listen to playback from there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the response!

The output side of the interface is for listening to A) what's going into the computer and B) what's being played back. If you're recording live mics while playing along to tracks that are already in the computer, you'll want headphones rather than speakers, so playback isn't picked up by your mics. Pretty much every recording interface made has some provision for balancing the live inputs and the playback in your headphones to let you play along while recording the new tracks.

Analog inputs take audio from the outside world, digitize them and send them to the computer via USB or Thunderbolt or whatever (as Tadpui already covered).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the response!

4 mics means there will be 4 tracks, or if you want, 2 mono (kick & snare) and 1 stereo (overheads), but still 4 mics are each creating their own audio signal.

The interface converts the audio to digital, and that can be about as many tracks as you can put into a converter, i.e., dozens. That goes into the computer via one single jack, most commonly USB.

For expansion, if you don't get an interface with 8 mic pres, get one with an ADAT (optical) input so you can add an 8x mic pre ADAT box when you decide you need a mic on the hi-hat and at least one on the toms, too, and maybe a 2nd on the kick, etc...
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

10. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The audio interface connects to your computer via USB (or Thunderbolt, or FireWire) and it carries all of those signals to and from your computer. So if your interface has 4 inputs, your recording software (DAW) will see all 4 inputs over the USB connection. Then you can create 4 tracks in your DAW, assign one input to each track, and you're all good to go. Plug some headphones or monitors into the audio interface, and listen to playback from there.
    Yeah that makes sense. Just got a bit confused with the outputs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    The output side of the interface is for listening to A) what's going into the computer and B) what's being played back. If you're recording live mics while playing along to tracks that are already in the computer, you'll want headphones rather than speakers, so playback isn't picked up by your mics. Pretty much every recording interface made has some provision for balancing the live inputs and the playback in your headphones to let you play along while recording the new tracks.

Analog inputs take audio from the outside world, digitize them and send them to the computer via USB or Thunderbolt or whatever (as Tadpui already covered).
    Yeah that makes sense. Completely forgot that the audio interface has USB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    4 mics means there will be 4 tracks, or if you want, 2 mono (kick & snare) and 1 stereo (overheads), but still 4 mics are each creating their own audio signal.

The interface converts the audio to digital, and that can be about as many tracks as you can put into a converter, i.e., dozens. That goes into the computer via one single jack, most commonly USB.

For expansion, if you don't get an interface with 8 mic pres, get one with an ADAT (optical) input so you can add an 8x mic pre ADAT box when you decide you need a mic on the hi-hat and at least one on the toms, too, and maybe a 2nd on the kick, etc...
    Thanks for the advice on ADAT, though I have no idea what it stands for, it certainly sounds useful.
    I will probably be getting an interface with 8 mic pres as they don't seem that much more expensive than those with only 4.

Thanks
    By the way, I know someone who could sell me one of these for cheap, could this be usable for what I've got planned or not so much?

Amazon.com: Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1602 Professional Multi-Purpose 16-Input Ultra-Low Noise Line Mixer: Gateway

Thread Information