Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Need Help With Recording Several Mics Simultaneously!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Drumz View Post
    Well the thing is, I'm a mac user and I don't know how compatible the 1800 is with OS X?
    With Core Audio most stuff including( I believe) the 1800 is just plug and play on the Mac. Check the Tascam website doc's
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtoboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    With Core Audio most stuff including( I believe) the 1800 is just plug and play on the Mac. Check the Tascam website doc's
    It does have a driver for OS X. The last one they posted is for High Sierra, so if OP is on Mojave, it would be a try and see if the driver installs. There's a specific document for the HS installation steps.

My interfaces have never needed a driver (both M-Audio USB and Focusrite Firewire both supported by Core Audio), but they did have application software that was useful/necessary for some routing or ADAT configuration.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

4. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    I do not know anything about Mac, but here are drivers so you can decide.

US-1800 | DOWNLOADS | TASCAM - United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    It does have a driver for OS X. The last one they posted is for High Sierra, so if OP is on Mojave, it would be a try and see if the driver installs. There's a specific document for the HS installation steps.

My interfaces have never needed a driver (both M-Audio USB and Focusrite Firewire both supported by Core Audio), but they did have application software that was useful/necessary for some routing or ADAT configuration.
    Yeah I've checked the website and since i have High Sierra anyway, it looks like the 1800 would work just fine.

I did end up buying 1800 today, I got a deal on a used one that I thought was too good to refuse (only 100$), so I'll try it out as soon as I get it next week!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Drumz View Post
    So I've been thinking about getting the Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 with 8 channels, where I live its only 200$. It also has ADAT, which is nice.
    https://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-U-P...s%2C248&sr=8-1

Any one have any experience with it?

Also, does anyone know any high quality audio interfaces that might be a little older/not produced anymore that I could look into getting used?
    for much better quality, check out the Presonus 6/8. comes with everything you need and only $249.

Thanks
    this is really helpful

Thanks
    Quality is a funny thing. The criteria we now use to 'judge' quality are so ahead of what we had just twenty years ago for broadcast, that it's largely academic, because few people have monitor systems that are capable of letting you hear what your specs and measurements tell you! You see people all the time spending their cash on advanced preamps, and then you see what they're using for speakers. I see no topics telling people their 6" driver speakers are not good enough. Few topics telling people that they need to move their monitors or swap their rooms around - yet loads about X brand presents being clearly better than Y brand. It's a recording system, rom mic to ear.

I have what I call 'stiction'. When I find a component I like, I keep it and use it. So I have some brand new kit and I have some ancient kit, and I like what they do, and I never feel that my quality is compromised. My monitors are bigger and over 30 year old. I have some 6" monitors with built in amps, and they now hang off my edit suit because they don't sound as good as the ancient ones ..... still! There's too much fashion in recording. We constantly recommend 2i2 interfaces I note - because for newcomers they do the job pretty well.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Quality is a funny thing. The criteria we now use to 'judge' quality are so ahead of what we had just twenty years ago for broadcast, that it's largely academic, because few people have monitor systems that are capable of letting you hear what your specs and measurements tell you! You see people all the time spending their cash on advanced preamps, and then you see what they're using for speakers. I see no topics telling people their 6" driver speakers are not good enough. Few topics telling people that they need to move their monitors or swap their rooms around - yet loads about X brand presents being clearly better than Y brand. It's a recording system, rom mic to ear.

I have what I call 'stiction'. When I find a component I like, I keep it and use it. So I have some brand new kit and I have some ancient kit, and I like what they do, and I never feel that my quality is compromised. My monitors are bigger and over 30 year old. I have some 6" monitors with built in amps, and they now hang off my edit suit because they don't sound as good as the ancient ones ..... still! There's too much fashion in recording. We constantly recommend 2i2 interfaces I note - because for newcomers they do the job pretty well.
    Never read it put quite like that Rob! Yes, there IS a constant concentration on the "front end". I think this is due to several factors but a big one is financial. The noob sees the cost of "proper" monitors and some minimal room treatment and simply hopes it won't matter. Audio manfctrs have of course jumped at the fiscal hole with cheap gimmcrackery that tries to convince the punter he/she can have accurate monitoring for $200 a pair.

I have dug (dugged?) out a 1980s Hi Fi News(!) Annual. The Kef R105, arguably one of the best speakers of its day and one of the few that could stand comparison for accuracy and low colouration with the Quad ELS sold for 675 a pair and they were passives! To give context in 1981 an 80W pch Marantz amp was 200 but in fact you would have needed bigger than that to do the R105 full justice.

Translate those prices to the modern day and high end monitors from such as Adam and PMC seem rather a bargain! Shoot, a Revox A77 HS would set you back 360 and produce a ****load more noise and distortion than a Behringer UCA 202!

The other "lack" in modern times is that few people these days go to hear live, acoustic instruments*. They might frequent a pub or club but never hear unamplified (often badly) instruments. If you never go to a classical concert or even an acoustic jazz or big band even you cannot have 'king clue about true sound and stereo "pictures" So, get TF out there and listen!

*My life is complicated with health issues atmo but hopefully when things get a bit easier I shall get to some concerts before the lugs fail completely or I am too ga-ga to appreciate it!

Dave.
    Last edited by ecc83; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:25. Reason: Freudian FU!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    BTW "I" don't recommend the 2i2! Overpriced IMHO, not great headroom, not sure it gives really low latency and no friggin' MIDI! Not keen on the bundled software either.

I often suggest the Tascam 2x2. The US16-30 multitracker has been around for years and I have read very little if anything bad about it. But yes, there really are no BAD interfaces out there, just do your homework noobs.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post

I agree. My older brother was a manager of a high end audio store "back in the day" and got me a deal on a pair of Klipsch Forte's that i still use as my main speakers in the tracking area to check my mixes. They still work suprisingly well in translating to modern sub/sat systems. I have 6 inch nearfields as well but they aren't near as accurate as my old Klipsch's!
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thread Information