NEED HELP--recording live concert band to be used for "rock" song backing.

photoresistor

Alright, the guitar player in my band wrote out concert band parts out for a song he wrote for his senior project.... (something in the vein of symphony&metallica)

we're going to be recording this song and would like to have the concert band in the actualy recording (or at least one version of it).

however, im not sure the best way to do this..? I was just going to use my two audix scx-one mics... the only problem is that they arent a matched pair, but its all i got.

the biggest problem is how do they stay on time? should i record the basic rock band instruments first and have the band try to stay on that time? or do i just tell the band and director to try and stay consistent with time and then record the rock band instruments over that?

I don't have enough mics or inputs to record everything at once... otherwise id just record it live when we perform it.

when i was in disneyland and did the recording thing down there... each player had headphones with a click track playing through it and that worked great for that... however, i do not possess 100 headphones lol.

any suggestions or tips?

THANKS!!

Record a click track and become a 'conductor' of sorts, give them visual cue's, that way you only need one set of headphones.

ez_willis said:
Record a click track and become a 'conductor' of sorts, give them visual cue's, that way you only need one set of headphones.
The only problem I see with that is the click having to be loud enough that everyone can hear it, and it getting picked up by the mics...

If the conductor is any good, and your music is well written, they shouldn't have any problems keeping it tight. Let them listen to your band's part right before they record, so that they know what it's supposed to sound like, and give it a shot.

Rokket said:
The only problem I see with that is the click having to be loud enough that everyone can hear it, and it getting picked up by the mics...

If the conductor is any good, and your music is well written, they shouldn't have any problems keeping it tight. Let them listen to your band's part right before they record, so that they know what it's supposed to sound like, and give it a shot.

I meant to say to give the conductor guy the headphones and have him wave the stick, or a carrot or something to provide the visual cue's. :D

ez_willis said:
I meant to say to give the conductor guy the headphones and have him wave the stick, or a carrot or something to provide the visual cue's. :D
:eek: big difference there!!!! ;)

Yeah, that was my only real idea on how to go about it... however, you must realize that it is only a high school concert band lol and (seeing as how i used to play in it) i somehow doubt their ability to keep tempo by watching the conductor.

High school bands follow the conductor more closely than you'd think. Actually, most of the people with instruments aren't really "musicians" and don't feel the music the way a rock band would. They're just following the conductor and playing what's on the sheet. They might do better than you'd think.

If you could somehow have the rock band playing at the same time as the concert band, that would be best.

He's already stated he doesn't have enough mics for that.

I agree. Give the conductor headphones with a click track. That is the best way to do it.

Back