Near field mics for recording acoustic guitar

jbarry

Right now I have no treatments and I'm recording in a spare bedroom. I probably won't have treatments for quite a while. It was suggested that I try close mic'ing. I have 2 at-2035 mics, a Rode NT-5, an AKG Perception 150 and a MXL 990/991 set. Not sure how my mics are going to do at 8" and closer. Any suggestions for mics under $200 for near field and low self noise? Thanks!

I think with your mics, the fun will be experimenting. Much will rely on your guitar anyway, but I’d be happy with your bunch of mics.

Right now I have no treatments and I'm recording in a spare bedroom. I probably won't have treatments for quite a while. It was suggested that I try close mic'ing. I have 2 at-2035 mics, a Rode NT-5, an AKG Perception 150 and a MXL 990/991 set. Not sure how my mics are going to do at 8" and closer. Any suggestions for mics under $200 for near field and low self noise? Thanks!

The mics you have are fine. You don’t need another mic.

What he said ^^

You are not sure how your mikes are going to work at 8" or closer?

Set them up and try them all. You don't need anyone's advice. You just need to try them out an see which combination works best for you.

It's a bedroom - is there a bed? Pull the mattress off and stand it on its long edge in front of you while you record - some absorption is better than none!

The 991 works fine for acoustic guitar at close range . AKG at close range also works well. I am talking about 3-5 inches from the neck at the 10-12 fret area.

The NT5 and Perception 150 should both work well. I've got a couple of the Perception 170s which are similar. I like them on my Taylor. I've also got Rode M5s. They sound different, but still work, depending on the rest of the tracks involved.

I did a comparison with of $100 mics using the M5, 170, SM57, Lauten 120 and Rode NT1 last year. You can find it here. https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...mic-sales-403242/?highlight=holiday+mic+sales.

I could have used any of the tracks. The mics were all about 18 inches from the end of the fretboard of my Taylor 310ce in my basement.

Back