My USB mic has heavy noise

texteriouz

Hey, I use the AKG Perception 120 usb mic.

I run it through audacity. Whenever I record something, it seems like the output is like so low, you cant even see the soundwave. Then I try to open a compressor, to compress it to 0db, but then its just noisy as hell.

I just run it directly into the computer. Usb in to pc, and other end into the mic and Im all set.

I have tried to increase and decrease the input and output in all ways possible, but it just doesnt seem to help, because every time I record, I have to gain it, and then the recording is ruined.

Thanks in advance!

What OS are you using? Have you adjusted the Level in the Sound Properties part of your Control Panel (assuming some kind of Windows OS)?

Just a thought, how close are you to the mic? The biggest issue with USB mics is they are always optimised with a fixed gain setting for almost lips on grill levels. Move the mic away to a foot or so and the level hardly tickles the meters. This sadly is just what they're designed to do, let people record podcasts. The analogy of the price should probably read £80 mic = £75 mic and £5 USB interface.

Just a thought, how close are you to the mic? The biggest issue with USB mics is they are always optimised with a fixed gain setting for almost lips on grill levels. Move the mic away to a foot or so and the level hardly tickles the meters. This sadly is just what they're designed to do, let people record podcasts. The analogy of the price should probably read £80 mic = £75 mic and £5 USB interface.

Aye Rob!
But this is a £130 mic and 24 bits to boot! Got to be a fault in the system somewhere IMHO.

Dave.

Just a thought - are you sure you've not engaged accidentally the 20dB pad on the mic. This is the ONLY was to adjust the mic gain at source, the volume control fader works after the conversion to digital, so the only way to adjust the sensitivity of the mic before the A to D conversion is with the pad. It could be in the wrong position. I tend to think it's a price mismatched microphone. There is no way the small number of components required to perform the conversion from A to D nearly doubles the non-USB version price.

Fingers crossed it's the pad accidentally switched in - because if it isn't, you are stuck!

So, I have taken a Pozi #1 to my USB mic.

Sorry the converter board came out badly I am going to Google for the single chip on it.

I did take the plate off the capsule housing but there are just two wires, hot and earth going to the capsule and there is no 48V on the PCB so that must be an electret element.

In contrast there is a lot more stuff inside that AKG including I would bet a DC-DC converter to produce a polarizing voltage and possible more than the 5 USB volts for the impedance converter so as to give better headroom?

Still worked when I put it back together!

Dave.

Attachments

• DSCF1256.jpg
    DSCF1256.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • DSCF1257.jpg
    DSCF1257.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • DSCF1258.jpg
    DSCF1258.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
Hey guys, thanks for all the help, but I found out what my problem was. First of all, my mic was not set to the default recording device. Second of all, the volume meter in mic properties under windows, was set to 0.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help, but I found out what my problem was. First of all, my mic was not set to the default recording device. Second of all, the volume meter in mic properties under windows, was set to 0.

Aha! Known in the electronics service trade as "finger trouble" or in the motor trade as a problem with the nut holding the steering wheel!

But! We have all been there.
I would be interested in some clips especially ones that show how good the noise floor is compared to the bog S 16 bit USB mics?

Dave.

Mike does not work with the volume in the O.F.F. position? Must be a short between the headphones.
I've played that myself.

Back