Muddy Recordings when recorded on usb mic

ksalangeul

Hello everyone!! I am a bit new to this so I am hoping you can help me with my problems. I am actually a KPOP coverist and I have just started uploading covers to soundcloud and youtube!!! It's exciting but it takes hard work and dedication I know. But well I just bought this beautiful ATR2500 and well...my vocals sound a bit muddy and boomy even after eq a bit so I just want to know am I recording them wrong or well am I too close to my mic, is my eq off? Original song I am covering is BTS Just One Day

well I attached the intro vocal before eq and after
The first is simply my vocalized non eq no compressor nothing just a noise gate(the bg noise was truly truly...irritating)

The second wav file is the intro vocal which has been eq'd with fabfilter pro-q, khajerus classic chorus, Breverb 2 Cakewalk 64, and compressed with sonar x2 track compressir
And the yeah so da da de da do day part has all those except the classic chorus is a flanger since they are melodic rather than just talking in a way so they swirl around kinda like in the original:)

View attachment Just One Day Intro EQ.mp3View attachment Just One Day Intro NO EQ.mp3

Can't listen to your files (at work), but in general USB mics don't give great results. Specially $70 USB mics.

I didn't think the samples sounded boomy or muddy. In fact the frequency balance sounded pretty good. The non-EQ version had one line that was noticeably louder than the other lines. Maybe a mic technique problem. But I didn't think it sounded horrible. Did you perhaps read an article about "muddiness" and "boominess"? Did that influence your listening? When I was new at this, I was absolutely sure that my tracks had whatever problem I was reading about at the time - whether the problem really existed or not. Then I spent hours trying (and failing) to remove the non-existent problem. Maybe you're in the same spot as I was?

Now that I've listened, I agree with the guys above - no muddiness or boominess. How are you listening to this - what monitors are you using?

Back