More expensive older gear vs cheaper new gear

dainbramage

I can't seem to find any information regarding whether or not it is preferable to get old gear, in this case an A/D converter (Apogee Trak 2) which is about 1/5 of the original price or if I should find new gear that cost approximately the same new as the used cost used.

In my case the converter was released in early 2002. I guess my question revolves around how quickly does technology improve when it comes to audio gear?

Any comments on this?

Apogee Trak 2

Better to decide what you NEED for inputs and outputs, and narrow down your choices based on those needs.
How are you going to be recording? That Apogee does not appear to have USB or Firewire outputs, only digital formats suitable to go to something other than a computer.

In short, all you need to know is does the piece of gear meet your requirements? It doesn't really matter whether you buy a brand new model, or an identical but older one. I guess the only other thing you might want to consider is the manufacturer's guarantee.

If there's a newer version that fits your needs better, then you need to ask yourself if it's worth the price difference.

Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's got any better necessarily. BUT it might come with a warranty.

Converter technology has lept and bounded over the last decade or so. Heck, I have a set of Sonic Solutions converters that were in the $10-k-ish range - Each - when new. Not even sure why I still have them around.

That said, they're not the worst sounding converters out there either.

Apogee's stuff was pretty solid and I'd imagine (assuming the unit has the specs you require) the sound quality shouldn't be much of an issue assuming the unit is in good shape.

Thank you for your replies.

It comes with a Digitech 002 which has firewire outputs so I think I can connect this to a computer.

It looks like a nice combo unit but if, like Massive Mastering says, technology has "leapt and bounded over the last decade" then I'm not sure anymore. Very little information on this unit. What I do need is a dual channel (for stereo guitar recording) with headphone monitoring, inserts for external compressor and some way of connecting it to a computer.

Pictures: - Pro tools 002 & Apogee Trak 2

Unless its something vintage like a mic or outboard gear, I'd say stay away from "older".

Some companies stop providing compatability, documentation, support, updates, etc with gear thats only 3 or 4 years old. Unless you really know what your building, go new.

Especially when "vintage" means 5 years old...

Back to the unit though --- One of my favorite pieces of gear ever was my Apogee MiniMe preamp/converter. No doubt, outdated. But still a wonderful sounding piece. Good gear is good gear... If the thing was well cared for and not too much $$$, it's probably not a bad piece to have.

Like everybody said. What ever meets your needs. I chose the original MOTU 896 over the new MKIII because the only thing that the MKIII had that the original didn't was that it was able to record at 192 khz (which really isn't too much of a difference from 96 khz) and that it had cuemix built in the converter (which I didn't need) So I got the original for 1/5 the price of the new model. I am VERY happy with it!

Back