Monitoring vocals, headphones or monitors

gospel

In the past when we went to studios to record I had a hard time singing with headphones on. I tried taking them off of one ear but then I couldn't hear the music well. What would be wrong in my home studio, with using floor monitors?

gospel said:
In the past when we went to studios to record I had a hard time singing with headphones on. I tried taking them off of one ear but then I couldn't hear the music well.

I have the same problem. I've also tried taking the phones off one ear -- seems I just can't sing well when I can't directly hear the air coming out my pie hole :) Best solution so far? Turn down the music! Then leave the phones partially off one ear, and sing just a bit quieter. Wonder if there's truly an excellent solution to this?

I guess ya just gotta trust the mic :rolleyes: IMO it's a problem with a lack of trust when you can't hear yourself well.

Chad

Out-of-Phase

Hey!

Believe it or not, there is actually a technique for monitoring vocals by using two loudspeakers that are out-of-phase. By playing with the position of your microphone the monitor "bleed" is minimized. Here's the site with a LOT more info about it.

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/1995_articles/jan95/vocalstips.html

I haven't tried this out for myself, but...this is published by a well respected group. Good luck!

-Chris-

Separated hit the Jackpot.

Actually, that technique works really good.

Its largely used by real pros when they really need it. Hard to master art though.

Peace...

PC

Back