Monitoring multiple sources with the same monitors

Granada

So here is my question.

I have 2 firepods daisychained with their outputs connected to a Tascam M520.

I have Event TR8's for monitors. The inputs they offer are unbalanced RCA and balanced TRS and XLR.

Would I be able to hook up the mixer through unbalanced RCA and balanced TRS at the same time?

That is what i really need to do and don't want to try it without knowing I am not messing up the speakers.

(I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured maybe there is a technique in logic about gear they can share)

Thanks alot,
Adam

My reaction was to say don't do it. If you want to monitor different sources, then I think you are better off getting an A-B switch.

However, to be able to comment more assuredly, I would need to know the assorted circuit paths . . . where your mixer sits in the scheme of things.

It is also possible that you don't need to monitor your mix directly. Is that feeding into the firepod, and why can't you monitor it through the firepod?

Its really for flexability. I am setting this all up today so I really haven't had a reason other than I want to be able to. It organizes things in my head better if that makes any sense. I tested it for a second and audio runs through both at the same time but once both inputs are connected the volume drops on whatever you are monitoring at that time.

My understanding is that you do not want to combine outputs -power or line level. That is one of the functions of a mixer- to provide appropriate load and isolation for incoming devices.

Does your mixer have multiple 2 track inputs or multiple stereo channels? This is how you would normally switch between monitoring different mixes or sources etc.... Your mixer is what I would use and then you can just switch what you are hearing from there. Are your studio monitors hooked up to the control room output of the mixer? Or does the mixer you have even offer that?

Yes it does. It has a 2 stereo 2 track inputs.
I will see how that works. Thanks
With all the inputs and outputs of mixers, sound cards, patch bays ect it can be hard to connect them all together most efficiently.

Back