midi and wav into mp3?????

flattop

hi everyone, i'm usin' cake9p,,,i have recorded da stuff, i have used the audio mixdown to get an mp3 file, but i want to have all the midi tracks along with the wav tracks in one mp3 file,,,,,,i tried to save the midi tracks as a wav file but there is no option, so i guess this means i have to record the midi tracks into a wav track?,,,,er can i bundle it all up somehow into a wav file so i can automixdown the audio (wav) file into an mp3? kinda frustrated but still kickin'!!!!

Sorry to be a disillusioning influence, but an .mp3 file is merely a compressed digital audio file, not a form of .bun file that will archive by reference all the component files that are used in CW project.
As a longtime Cakehead here's my take:
Save your MIDI files as .wrk files.
Save each stereo pair of audio as .wav files.
Load CW up with the combination of either that will be used in your mix and mix down to whatever format you need.
The .bun file was supposed to be this sort of cross-filetype
backup protocol but I'm still more comfortable with the technique I outlined. It's more portable. I use both extensions elsewhere on a regular basis so I need them to be stored directly, not in a bundle. Putting them in a bundle and by themselves is a waste of space. When I get my bank of 4 RAID arrayed 75GB IDE drives
{Santa Claus. Are you listening?}
I admit this will be a moot point, but I'm still living with 7 free GB on a 13GB drive.

Flattop - you must convert your midi data into a real audio track that you can then mix with your other audio tracks. You can do it by just soloing all your midi tracks and recording a stereo audio track of your sound source (external keyboard or internal synth) or you can do it track by track, i.e. bass, kick, snare etc etc. I prefer the latter. Once all your midi tracks have been replaced with audio tracks you can then mixdown all the audio tracks to wav or MP3.

The bun file system allows you to bundle all your tracks, (audio and midi) into one file that can then be saved to CD as a backup. You can then erase the wrk file associated with the track and then apply the "Tools/Clean Audio Disc" option and cakewalk will find all the associated audio files in your wavedata folder and you can erase them thus giving you back the disc space.

If you later decide you want to remix the track you can load up your CD and double click your BUN file and it will load itself back into your wavedata folder and give you back your wrk. file with all the audio and midi tracks as before.

Hope this helps

Cheers
John :)

Back