Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Microphones for Recording Acoustic Guitar

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    What a ridiculously varied and somewhat random list of mics. If you have to buy two (you used the plural) then two Neumanns would be somewhat expensive.
    You nailed it Rob. The list that was posted is straight from TechZelo.com which is more of a advertising based site than an indepth review site. They have lots of "Best of" categories, and every mic has a "View At Amazon" button under it with its Amazon rating. That's a problem when people first start looking for equipment. These sites look to be "informative" but are really just ad driven. Hopefully if the poster is serious, he'll do a bit more research before forking over cash just because a mic was on that list (not that all those mics are junk, just not necessarily the "best").

BTW, I was browsing around TechZelo's lists, and the Neumann U87 only got 3.6/5 star rating. One "reviewer" gave it 1 star because he bought a "Neumann" and got a chinese knock off.

Thanks
    Ha! One of my video projects needed a microphone to 'explode' a couple of years back, and wanted it to look like the one in a pop video. I tried in vain to find counterfeit I could destroy and gave up! I'd heard of these counterfeits, but never found one!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Ha! One of my video projects needed a microphone to 'explode' a couple of years back, and wanted it to look like the one in a pop video. I tried in vain to find counterfeit I could destroy and gave up! I'd heard of these counterfeits, but never found one!
    If if it was an LDC you needed Rob the BR-100s and their brethren are only a score apiece and really look damn good! They are not TOO foul audiowise either IF you get a working one!

Dave.

Thanks
    after many years of recording acoustics with different mics and setups,
    i've found that i like the ADK Hamburg, AT4033 and the Shure KSM44 the best.

single mic setups, usually the shure ksm44 in mono, for multitracked parts,
    and i'll X-Y stereo using the at4033 and adk hamburg for those kinds of recordings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    If I had $7k for a pair of used KM84s, I probably wouldn't be recording myself and friends in a 12x12 room
    lol...yes and Im not in a 12x12..lol

theres room specific, application, but I from my reads the KM84(184) is pretty much a standard, that AKG 451 pops up alot and the SM81 as some flat reference...

most the articles I looked at with LDC were in a nice room, and the dual mics of that.... in my room , i can only attempt to NOT have the room picked up.

I was thinking, on a scale of 1 to 10....10 being Capital or EMI ...a 1 as a trailer house kitchen with a 3yr old baby screaming in the background...
    my rooms about a 3...to 3.5.... pillows, foam, small...

but the point is the room makes a huge difference for choosing mics. Im getting into room rejection mics for now, up close and small pattern.
    I admire dudes like Les Paul who made his whole house a tracking room, kitchens, stairwells, showers and closets...wild stuff

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Yeah....where in the world did THAT list come from?? For the uninitiated wanting their FIRST mic for acoustic guitar, the Shure SM81 is straight-up the easiest to use. Doesn't seem to matter what preamp/interface you're using until you get into the really expensive....Some folks would call them "flat" "unexciting" "boring"....the thing is they sound exactly like the box you're beating into the grill. From any angle. And if you can find the pop-filter attachment, they make a pretty damn good vocal mic.
    Chord with this, Teddy......

Thanks
    Heres where the list came from ..I think.

The Best 10 mics for recording acoustic guitar

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    Heres where the list came from ..I think.

The Best 10 mics for recording acoustic guitar
    Who on Earth wrote the stuff in that link? LOL. English isn't their first language. That's fine, but those reviews are hilarious. I read the entry on the KM-184, which I use. One of the funniest reviews I've ever read. Once you get past the way the writer repeatedly refers to the mic as a "device" ("The person understands the superiority of the device immediately after he takes the device,") you come to realize that absolutely nothing substantive has been said about it that indicates any first-hand experience with it. German engineering. Check. Lightweight and compact. Check. "The device of higher class, which is able to make the dreams come true." Check. Hitting all the same points you'll find in my review of the vintage Neumann U47, a classic mic I've seen in photographs, but have never seen in person.

At any rate, the sales pitch for the good ol' KM-184 is an amusing read about a decent SDC that works well on many acoustic stringed instruments in the guitar range and runs about $800 new. I point the 184 slightly downward at the 12th fret on acoustic guitar and let 'er rip. The 184 was a step way up from the mediocre AKG C1000s I was using previously. My whole approach to acoustic guitar is to set up the 184 with a U87 a couple of feet back from the soundhole for a bigger, roomier effect. Lately I've been including a cheaper (but tube) CV-12 next to the 87 in midside configuration for effect. Midside miking can give you some really interesting results and you can play with the tracks, blending to taste. The result is an airy, well-balanced acoustic that sounds like you're sitting in front of the player, not listening to a recording of an acoustic guitar. I like the 184 because it's really well-balanced just a hint shiny on the upper end while the lower end doesn't sound boomy. Good for drum OHs, too.

Thread Information