Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Microphones for Recording Acoustic Guitar

Thanks

Microphones for Recording Acoustic Guitar

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello
    For more than 12 years I have been playing the guitar and decided to finally record carpets and spread them on YouTube
    What is a good Microphones for Recording Acoustic Guitar?
    I have several options:
    OPTION 1
    OPTION 2
    OPTION 3
    OPTION 4
    OPTION 5
    OPTION 6
    OPTION 7
    OPTION 8

What do you think?
    Thank!

Thanks
    "record carpets"??

What do you have for a preamp/audio interface? IS your room acoustically treated? is this for solo guitar recording, or will the tracks be part of a larger, more dense mix?

I prefer a single LDC, but for a solo guitar song, I'll add a 2nd mic on the lower bout. Haven't had the chance to experiment with mid-side yet. Others prefer SDCs on acoustic. I woudl not recommend ribbons unless you've got the appropriate preamp.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Recording Acoustic Guitar

^ Read, learn and inwardly digest.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexvolf View Post
    Hello
    For more than 12 years I have been playing the guitar and decided to finally record carpets and spread them on YouTube
    What is a good Microphones for Recording Acoustic Guitar?
    I have several options:
    • Audio-Technica ATM450
    • Audio-Technica AT4050
    • Audio-Technica AT2020-USB
    • Neumann KM184
    • Mojave MA-200 (tube)
    • Royer R121 (ribbon)
    • MXL 770
    • Shure SM81

What do you think?
    Any good mic or mics can make a good recording. What it depends on is how good the performer is, what kind of space it is, and how the guitar sound, and what the recording is supposed to sound like.

As @ecc83 said, read as much as you can. Then, with some knowledge, evaluate your recording space and expectations. Think about any other uses for the first mic, because some can be more limiting than others. A good, multi-pattern large-diaphragm condenser (LDC) is very versatile, and will work with probably any interface you buy.

Learning how to use a microphone, where to place it to sound the best and either capture or minimize the space where you are recording are things that really only come with experience (IMO).

A lot of times I record with just a single mic, and use either a LDC or SDC, and sometimes I use two mics, maybe a pair of one kind or one of each.

I'd probably skip the tube or ribbon mic when just starting to record. A little more fiddly and/or delicate. In fact, I still don't own either and haven't felt a critical need.

p.s. I use the ATM450 and think it is a nice mic, though there are a *lot* of mics that would work as well, probably. (I got mine used for $100 at a GC - still one of the best deals I ever found there )
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    If the KM184's and R121's are on your list, anything else would be "meh" by comparison. ASSUMING you're in a decent space with decent preamps, of course.

Thanks
    Ive been reading this topic past few days too.

Neumann 84 (184) is what Ive seen the most frequent in the pro's articles. But like the Neumann U67,U87 etc..we try to find something cheaper.

Hotel California- SOS article comment:
    "Meisner's bass was gobo'd off and I'd take it direct as well as through a small Ampeg amp,” Szymczyk recalls. "Henley, on the other hand, I tried to keep as open as possible, so I didn't use a drum booth.
    However, I did use iso booths for the acoustic guitars and there were gobos for the electrics. The miking all depended on what the song and the sound called for. I'd change the mics constantly, and so when people ask me, 'What mic did you use on that?' I have no clue at this point. The only thing that was consistent was a pair of Neumann KM84s that I discovered to be the absolute best setup on acoustic guitars. As far as the guitar amps went, it was a case of whatever worked.'

This is a key component for a lot of us-
    Cardioid mics are usually best for home recording, because they pick up sound primarily from the front and reject sound from the rear, reducing noise and limiting the effect of poor room acoustics.

So heres the shopping-

Neumann KM84 $3500 used
    Neumann KM 184 $800 new

This dude did a mega review from $80 to $$$$$$$ ELAM.... all the regulars were mentioned.
    Low priced recommended Oktava MC012 $200 SDC, Dynamic RE20 (SM7 and 421) and LDC...and Ribbon I dont recall.

Recording Magazine Resources: The Well-Balanced Mic Closet

..its almost mic overload from a "downtown" studio view

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    What a ridiculously varied and somewhat random list of mics. If you have to buy two (you used the plural) then two Neumanns would be somewhat expensive.

You really cannot compare all these mics - they all have different characters and foibles. If you have the budget, i personally would buy a small selection of the obvious ones at the cheaper end, and maybe one nice one - I always fall back to the AKG 414. I have the AT2020 and it's a bit bright and clean, but fine. The real key feature is in the Eagles article. He didn't know what he used - he swapped until one sounded right. One mic that is brilliant on a Martin acoustic might be really thin and woody or boomy on a Gibson? one mic is risky - at any quality level, if they just don't gel.

Thanks
    The Eagles were also recording in a real studio, which almost always has the advantage of being the kind of space where if any other sound does creep in, it's probably very soft, because of size and treatment. And, bleed, whatever it might be, simply sounds good because it's part of what is being tracked. Not usually the case in home recording spaces.

And, then too, it was The Eagles being recorded, which might be relevant.

If I had $7k for a pair of used KM84s, I probably wouldn't be recording myself and friends in a 12x12 room
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    what kind of budget? Gefells get a lot of love for acoustic guitars. My favorite was just a U87 14" off the guitar around the 13-14 fret (neck joint area). That said for detail and clarity the 4015 DPA pair was stunning. Expensive though, but no more than Royer's , ok maybe a bit more. d:dicate™ 4015 Wide Cardioid Microphone

Thanks
    Matched pairs of Schoeps CMC6u condenser microphone w/MK2s capsule, get a lot of love at my favorite Recital hall. For classical guitarist, those and DPA are used there.

Thread Information