mic'ing the low end of a bassy voice

slidey

well yeah like I said the low end of a bassy voice

using a neumann KMS105 infront of my ol' man's gob with an SE electronics reflexion filter. With his back to a double mattress

I used a 2nd mic namely an AKG solidtube pointing at his chest.........& the result of the ST is like turning up the bass control on a hifi amp............the vocal came out sooooooooooooooooo THICK, 2 planks don't get a look in

I noticed this technique being mentioned by LeeRosario

thanks Lee.......................you're a brick me ol' son :D :D

Slidey

That's a technique I can't wait to try, Slidey...just haven't had the opportunity yet. But there's one thing I'm curious about and would like to hear your take on it, and that is using it in sort of the opposite way in a way...

I have a musician friend who's been working hard on his vocal stylings lately. He's got great technique, emotion, and is spot-on key, but - god bless him - the rest of his body just writes checks that his vocal chords just can't cash in that the timbre of his voice itself just remains a bit on the thin side. I'm wondering what you think about the chest-miking technique as a way to pull out more bass? Can it be a help for people who don't have boomy voices to begin with or is that just trying to milk a dry cow?

Also, you mentioned the SE vocal filter. I was just reading about those (in Mix, I think) just the other night and was very intrigued. Two questions for you: are they as worthhile and impressive-working as this review made them sound (they agreed on addition of the behind-the-back deadening as an important element, BTW)? And, I found their price a bit on the jaw-dropping side; worth it if they really work well, but still rather expensive for what they seem to actually physically be. I'm thinking there should be possible ways to make my own for 1/6th the cost...unless they are relying on some really advanced design or material like space foam or something. Any insight as to their construction and as to wthether you think there a DIY alternative that'll work just as well?

Thx in advance for any comments.

G.

I have a musician friend who's been working hard on his vocal stylings lately. He's got great technique, emotion, and is spot-on key, but - god bless him - the rest of his body just writes checks that his vocal chords just can't cash in that the timbre of his voice itself just remains a bit on the thin side. I'm wondering what you think about the chest-miking technique as a way to pull out more bass? Can it be a help for people who don't have boomy voices to begin with or is that just trying to milk a dry cow?

~~well, it's certainly going to accent the low end of his vocal tone to a degree, it certainly is worth a try & as I said before it's like pushing the bass control on a hifi as far as the sound goes. What mics would you be using to record the dude glen??..........I'd say it would help to pull more lows out of the vocalist, however it depends where he sings from IE the throat or the whole chest region??. Throat singers generally have a thin-ish sort of sound anyway............I'd try it & see. BTW my ol' man rivals Barry White for vocal depth~~

Also, you mentioned the SE vocal filter. I was just reading about those (in Mix, I think) just the other night and was very intrigued. Two questions for you: are they as worthhile and impressive-working as this review made them sound (they agreed on addition of the behind-the-back deadening as an important element, BTW)? And, I found their price a bit on the jaw-dropping side; worth it if they really work well, but still rather expensive for what they seem to actually physically be. I'm thinking there should be possible ways to make my own for 1/6th the cost...unless they are relying on some really advanced design or material like space foam or something. Any insight as to their construction and as to wthether you think there a DIY alternative that'll work just as well?

~~well yes they are as impressive & I can't be gaffed getting the hammer & nails out, in otherwords "to hell with DIY" my hands make the music..................I've been struggling for years to get a good vocal sound & the SE RF helped in a big big way & IMO is worth the money I spent £180 UK. I understand for what it is it may seem a bit steep BUT the number of vocalists I've had in & also the number of different things I've used it on (vox, kicks, ac. guitars, saxaphones) I'd say it's worth it, although if you've a keen DIY head then save yourself a bit of dough & build your own........it's made up of about 6 different layers of material & I've no doubt one could be built cheaper, as I said I can't be gaffed & I've had my moneys worth back from it in so far that my vox recordings have improved ten fold~~

I hope I made sense there Mr. G.............

peace out
slidey

slidey said:
What mics would you be using to record the dude glen??
Well, I'm not sure, having never tried it before ;). Of late he's been using an MXL V69 in the standard position, and it sounds good in that it captures his voice and replicates it well. I really don't have much desire to mess with that at this point as a solo mic. I'd probably play around a bit seeing what works as a good compliment to that in capturing whatever lower stuff may be coming from his diapraghm.
slidey said:
I'd say it would help to pull more lows out of the vocalist, however it depends where he sings from IE the throat or the whole chest region??. Throat singers generally have a thin-ish sort of sound anyway............I'd try it & see. BTW my ol' man rivals Barry White for vocal depth
This guy plays a great guitar to "Let's Get it On", but he lets the bass player and the dummer do the Barry White vocals work ;). He sounds more like a solo Don Henley in vocal character, except not quite as high-pitched...maybe Henley minus a half octave. He's using his body but the body just doesn't doesn't put out the bass, I don't think. We'll just have to play around and expiriment with it, I guess.

slidey said:
I spent £180 UK. I understand for what it is it may seem a bit steep BUT the number of vocalists I've had in & also the number of different things I've used it on (vox, kicks, ac. guitars, saxaphones) I'd say it's worth it
Yeah, for basically the cost of a single decent microphone, something that will work that well to improve the space in which the mics are working is certainly worth it. And after re-reading a technical description of how the thing is constructed, I'll probably not try recreating one myself.

Thanks for the whiteboarding and advice.

G.

a pleasure Mr. G

I'd recommend if you have, or have access to a valve LDC of some kind for the chest

if Lee sees this thread maybe he can shed light on what he used to record in this way

Back