mic volume is small

air540g

I use AKG C1000S and DIGI002RACK. software is adobe audition2.0.

I find my mic volume is so small

picture 1 is recorded from company, mic volume is about -6db

picture 2 is my record. mic volume is about -12db

picture 3 is the gain position of digi002 rack.

who can tell me how to do?

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is... Looks like the second shot is a signal peaking at around -6dBFS (which is a little hot, but not completely insane) with the 'meat' sitting around -15dBFS (although that's only a guess from looking at a photo).

If you're talking about tracking levels, you're in WAY better shape than the top photo (which is right up around full-scale).

That said, we'd need a whole lot more information just to guess at anything else. What's the source, what's the application, what's the distance, etc. This is one of many reasons that displays are relatively worthless most of the time...

who can tell me how to do?

Don't worry about volume when tracking and recording. Get your song put together and balanced well. If it seems quiet to you then turn up the volume knob on your amp/speakers/monitors. Don't try to compare mic volume with a commercially released song. They have been through the whole process and tracking a mic is only the beginning.

Like Massive said, your signal is close to where it should be.

The first waveform is too hot for the tracking/mixing stages of the process. The second waveform is pretty close to right, maybe a little too high. During those stages maintain lots of headroom. Only after you've finished the mix and exported a wave file should you concern yourself with the final volume.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is... Looks like the second shot is a signal peaking at around -6dBFS (which is a little hot, but not completely insane) with the 'meat' sitting around -15dBFS (although that's only a guess from looking at a photo).

If you're talking about tracking levels, you're in WAY better shape than the top photo (which is right up around full-scale).

That said, we'd need a whole lot more information just to guess at anything else. What's the source, what's the application, what's the distance, etc. This is one of many reasons that displays are relatively worthless most of the time...

a bit too hot?? so what r "ideal" peak and meat values for tracking/recording/mixing?? thanks

a bit too hot?? so what r "ideal" peak and meat values for tracking/recording/mixing?? thanks
The 'meat' of the signal should be around -18dbfs, or more correctly, it should be sitting around line level. What that level is depends on the calibration of your converters. Peaks can be anywhere they fall as long as they don't clip. For percussive things like drums and piano, I like to keep the peaks around -6dbfs, just for safety's sake.

And congrats on the necro-post of the week. It's only a year old, but...

Back