Mic and Recording Techniques For Guitar Cab

kendallking

I have the Sennheiser e906 and the SM57. For the majority of the time I only use the e906. I was just wondering where would be a good spot to position the mic as I am getting a muffled sound when recording. The room I am recording in does have a high ceiling, I do have access to a smaller room if need be. If anyone could give me some tips on how to make my guitar cab sound good that would be deeply appriciated.

Cheers

There are a ton of threads on here about mic positioning - do a search!
Most people say fairly close to the speaker, but at an angle pointing towards the edge. Just move it around and experiment!

its not so much the mic positioning anymore i have looked around and found some cool tips, its if i should use a combination of both mics and if having a high ceiling is having an impact on my sound and making it muffled?

You can always record with both mics and use both together or remove one in the finished mix. Try placing both at varied places and axises and see what you like best. I don't have a 906, but have a older 609 and know its often darker than my SM57. Also, where is your cab in the room? If its in a corner you may be getting more base response, try moving it away from the wall. Check you mic positioning too and your amps EQ. Mics pic up differantly than the human ear, so what amp EQ setting you have and like by ear may not be what's right for your mics...

hey guys thanks for all your posts, Im replying just to let you know that the problem is solved!!! it was the amp settings, all i did was turn down the mids completely and its sounds beautiful when recorded, it made all the difference :)

Cheers

hey guys thanks for all your posts, Im replying just to let you know that the problem is solved!!! it was the amp settings, all i did was turn down the mids completely and its sounds beautiful when recorded, it made all the difference :)

Cheers

Great to hear Ken you can always change the tone of your sound at the source but if that's not to your liking you can always try to record with a ribbon microphone.
Something along the lines of a Nady RSM4 at $60 Or the MXL R144 at about $80. you may be pleasantly surprised. ;)

:cool:

Back