Mic preamp

I'd invest in a better microphone for now. For around $250, you can get a used AKG C535EB. It is a hand held condenser mic, so you will need 48v phantom engaged on your interface preamp. These mics are not real expensive, and are used by professional studios in place of Shure SM58s and Beta 58s. C535 EB | Reference condenser vocal microphone

If a better mic gives you better recordings, then consider an upgrade of your audio interface/preamp. :thumbs up:

What mic would you recommend for jazzy cleaner strong vocal ? I often record very loud natural sounding vocals sometimes leaning to opera singing and I get this harshnes above 2-3 khz that I cant get rid off in eq and cant quite locate exactly. Like it's all over the place. ? Will preamp soften that spectar of freq from my Rode Nt1, or would maybe a dynamic mic like sm58 be a better choice for that purpose.
Sry for bothering you guys and girls, but im trying to get a little deeper into that stuff for making a better choices.
Thx

post a sound clip so I can tell if it is a malfunctioning mic vs just impedance mismatch.

But the Studio Projects VTB1 is a better mic preamp than the $2 one inside that interface. Mainly because the studio project mic pre is well within the impedance tolerance and the presonus is right outside the tolerance.

Some people call this the 10X rule but its the tolerance of input coupling impedance and its not always 10 times the source.

Phantom power mics do need a little bit of a load, but their output impedance rating is the lowest loading impedance the amplifying stage inside the condenser can go. Now a dynamic microphone's impedance is its operating impedance and its the impedance that will give you the best output to frequency response.

Now as far as your issue in the 2K region, It might be caused by sibilance in the vocals, which can be processed out by a de-esser.
A dynamic mic would probably sound better for your vocals. Pick up a sennheiser e835 and try it. A Shure sm57 might be ok, but its not really a good vocal mic for most people either. The lead singer for smashing pumpkins uses a Shure beta58 to record with, but he has a lot of processing going on to get a lot of the shrillness out.

Last edited:
Back