Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mic input too weak

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    That guy almost certainly has a shotgun microphone on, or above, the camera.
    There are tutorials with the mics I have, that are just as clear.

Thanks
    The C-1 isn't a bad sounding mic by any means. It's pretty noisy, but not bad sounding. So the muffled sound that you're experiencing is definitely not normal. If the LED is lit up, then it's being supplied phantom power. If your cable is proven to be good, and your interface is proven to be good, then the prime suspect is the mic.

I assume that you've tried your other mic with the same cable and interface? And it sounds fine?

If that's the case, then I'd heavily suspect a fault with the mic. I'd have my trigger finger hovering over the "exchange for a new one" button from your retailer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    The C-1 isn't a bad sounding mic by any means. It's pretty noisy, but not bad sounding. So the muffled sound that you're experiencing is definitely not normal. If the LED is lit up, then it's being supplied phantom power. If your cable is proven to be good, and your interface is proven to be good, then the prime suspect is the mic.

I assume that you've tried your other mic with the same cable and interface? And it sounds fine?

If that's the case, then I'd heavily suspect a fault with the mic. I'd have my trigger finger hovering over the "exchange for a new one" button from your retailer.
    I have about 5 different mics, same problem. One is a BM 800, Scarletts Cm25, got a guitar mic and a SM58 dynamic. The guy in the tutorial says he recorded a whole album using an SM57, which isn't even a condenser. I wonder how he managed to boost that signal well enough to do that

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisMusic View Post
    I have about 5 different mics, same problem. One is a BM 800, Scarletts Cm25, got a guitar mic and a SM58 dynamic. The guy in the tutorial says he recorded a whole album using an SM57, which isn't even a condenser. I wonder how he managed to boost that signal well enough to do that
    Oh, so it's several mics that all sound bad through the same cable and interface? In that case, it's gotta be the cable or the interface at fault.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    Oh, so it's several mics that all sound bad through the same cable and interface? In that case, it's gotta be the cable or the interface at fault.
    Yeah its the main reason i bought yet another mic, but i don't mind having a collection anyway. I have 2 cables and no difference. In my head Im narrowing it down to the PC and the DAW. I've sent presonus support team my system info file so hopefully if it's a PC related problem they'll be able to pinpoint it.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    PLEASE don't tell me you own five microphones and only ONE XLR cable?! The Presonus has two mic inputs FCS.

If indeed you have a spare cable and can prove it is good (test meter of course) The AI becomes the only real suspect. OR, you have something weird going on in Windows Sound settings. That last is unlikely since I assume the Presonus has ASIO drivers and you are using them?

What sort of levels do you get plugging in a guitar into High Z or a phone say into line? All the front inputs you see go through the same pre amps.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    PLEASE don't tell me you own five microphones and only ONE XLR cable?! The Presonus has two mic inputs FCS.

If indeed you have a spare cable and can prove it is good (test meter of course) The AI becomes the only real suspect. OR, you have something weird going on in Windows Sound settings. That last is unlikely since I assume the Presonus has ASIO drivers and you are using them?

What sort of levels do you get plugging in a guitar into High Z or a phone say into line? All the front inputs you see go through the same pre amps.

Dave.
    What does FCS mean?

Yes I have a spare, black in colour, the other one is red (the one that came with my scarlett 2i2). Yes presonus has ASIO drivers, AudioBox USB 96 | Downloads | PreSonus

I get fairly weak wave forms, it's advised that we normalize the sound in the DAW to bring the waveform up (make the track louder) however that just amplifies my poor quality muffled track

Thanks
    Did I miss it or did you not post a sample? That has to be the best way for us to get a better solution.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Did I miss it or did you not post a sample? That has to be the best way for us to get a better solution.
    Hey sorry I'm still waiting for presonus to get back to me on the PC side of things. But hopefully i'll have it up by Monday. If they can figure it out before that, then my problem will be solved. If not, I'll make a sample as I turn the gain knob up to show how the different levels sound.

PS: I just installed the latest ASIO driver on my other older PC (AMD CPU) and the same problem there too. The input increases rapidly on the last 2-3 notches of the gain knob. I've just sent presonus that piece of info as well.
    Last edited by BorisMusic; 08-09-2019 at 05:53.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Hey sorry I'm still waiting for presonus to get back to me on the PC side of things. But hopefully i'll have it up by Monday. If they can figure it out before that, then my problem will be solved. If not, I'll make a sample as I turn the gain knob up to show how the different levels sound.
    Can you also try a line input, a feed from a phone should easily hit -20dB fs in the DAW and that is where stuff should be.

BTW, the NICER version is "For HEAVEN Sake"

Dave.

Thread Information