methods for recording

foreverain4

what is your process for tracking? do you go direct into a computer? do you track to adat or HD recorder first, then dump into a computer for editing and mixing? i used to go direct into pc, but i have switched to tracking to adat first. the problem i was having was a huge project file that was imposible to backup on a CDR. this process also alows for me to give my clients the option of purchasing their raw tracks on adat. what do you guys do?

lynn
www.therecordinghouse.com

I record straight to hard disk with my Roland 2480. Yeah, the file sizes get huge and backup is a pain in the arse, but I learn to live with it.

For years I tracked to ADATs and then transfered the tracks to computer for editing. Now I track to an HD24 and still transfer from there to computer to edit. I'll sometimes track directly to computer but usually go the the HD24 as it's MUCH more robust platform for recording (no mouse, no latentcy, no blue screen of death, etc). As far as long term storage goes, even on large files, and they're all large anymore, I make multiple folders, one with the Cakewalk file in it and as many wavs that'll fit (up to 600 megs or so) and then an additional folder(s) to put the balance of the wavs in, as many folders as required to hold all the wavs. One multitrack song may be on three seperate CD-Rs.
I offer clients either ADAT tapes, CD-Rs and now hard drives from the HD24. I personally archive my stuff on CD-R and hard drive or tape (well the stuff I did before I got the HD24).

For archiving I use DDS 3 tapes which each hold 12 gigabytes. Usually i would need at most 2 per project, which would be the equivalent of something like 45 CDR's! And if you use Retrospect Software or something similar, you do incremental back-ups —_only the stuff that's changed since the last backup gets written.

I use cakewalk/sonar which can package a song as a 'bun' file for backup onto CDR, usually I can fit 2 or 3 songs on a CD.

Back