Metal Guitar Recorded Again - Need advice

jmxdrummer

here it is again. after getting great advice from Metalhead and Reggie, I screwed around with my mics and I came up with the lastest recording. Im alot happier with it, but Im open to any feedback.

Also I just purchased a Digitech Metalmaster pedal which is then routed to my Rocktron Gainiac preamp (clean channel) which is finally routed to my Crate comp amp (2x12)

From a lurker on these forums and an old musician who loves metal, I'd say it sounds great! Sounds like an amp now. Big step up from your previous attempts. I'd might go for a little more bass but that's just my opinion. Now do some double takes and pan them right and left. The right side sounds a little stronger right now. Get some drum tracks in there too. Recorded guitar by it's self sounds a little boring until you add in the other instruments, then it just has some balls when they all fit together. Check out beta monkey for drum tracks, if you got some cash to play with.

It sounds like there is a wah semi open on it. Did you double track or just copy/paste? It sounded like the same part copy/pasted and then delayed a little bit. I'd also get the final mix panned center, it was very present on the right side. On the plus side, it sounds a lot better than the first one you posted. Keep up the good work, a lot of people would have quit already.

Oay, working now.

I'm hearing a different tone from the left speaker than I am from the right. The right is bright and the left is dark. The right is also clipping somewhat.
I'd want to hear the same thing on each side. If you are using two mics you should pan them both to the same spot, and then record another performance to pan to the other side.

This is just rediculously better than your previous attempt. Good work. The tone of the amp itself is not too bad either. It's a little scratchy on it's own but I bet it would work okay in a mix. If you could get a nice full sound on both sides of the stereo field you would be doing pretty good. Also watch out for those levels because that right side is definitely too hot.

Good job man!

I guess it's not too bad... doing pretty good with the stuff you have :) name some metal bands you like.

disclaimer... depending on the song, I generally like a lot more gain.
i.e. basically the same riff with two diferent amps
Clip 1
Clip 2

here's some of my thoughts on your tone...

it sounds a bit boxy

sounds like mainly preamp distortion

real scratchy and sort of harsh

have you tried the two mic technique... mic 1 straight on and mic 2 right beside mic 1 and angled about 45 degrees... mixed. this really smooths the tone.

Last edited:
Back