Magazines For Home Recordist

drbluezz

I didn't know which forum to place this post...my apologies if it's in the wrong forum and moderators please feel free to move it as necessary.
Anyway, what magazines do you recommend for the home recordist? EQ? Mix? Others? Thank you.

Tom

+1 on TapeOp. They snag some great interview of people who were around back in the day.

TapeOp all the way!!! The others mentioned are decent if you like looking at pictures.:) BTW, you can learn A LOT here if you do some searching.

SOS is pretty good, but pricey.

i've been subscribing to Recording Magazine for about 4 years now, and at first it seemed useful, but i've learned far more at this site than ever in the mag. the past 5 or 6 issues have been absolute wastes of time, and i'd say there are only about a dozen articles in the entire 4 years that i'd actually go back and reference now.

i'm definitely gonna check out tapeop--not familiar with it, but liking the high marks here.

I prefer Esquire and Men's Journal myself...I'm into recording, but not while I'm sitting on the toilet ;) :D

Seriously, though, my favorite mags on the subject are Sound On Sound and Mix.

G.

Computer Music, SOS, Recording. EQ, and Performing Musician are the ones i buy everymonth......usually just for 1 or 2 articles i want out of them....Computer Music is the most expensive but usually comes with a dvd with alot od free demos and full software/sounds and pdf walkthroughs.......anything else i want to learn i will spend about 3 hours at a time on this site and test out what everyone says......and i think this site should run a newsletter or a small walkthrough magazine that just big enough one one subject.....i would be a subscriber for sure

I used to buy Guitar Player in the 90's because it had a section dedicated to home recording & usually had some excellent tips on how to work outside the square. I don't have the mags anym0ore (use to hoard such things) but I did cut out & keep all the useful stuff & have a file with them in it. I also learnt how to play THAT James Brown chord from it too (funnily enough I've only used it in one song & that was a folk track - funky folk?).

I prefer Playboy Or Penthouse. But you have to check each issue BEFORE you buy to make sure there's an interview with a musician in it or my wife... ummm... YOUR wife may not let you buy it!

;) :)

Back