Lord of the Rings

x2x3

does anyone know how they did the voice of the trees that talk??? Has anyone heard of a voice changer plug-in or rack unit??? thanks

I believe your talking about the Ents? (tree hearders) I have no clue how it was done but why do you think it was an effect? It could have easily done that with their own voice.

It sounded like the work of a sound designer to me. I doubt there is a plug in that does that- they added creaks and groans and other "woody' elements by hand.

At least, that's what I think. They started with John Rhys-Davies doing his treebeard voice (which is really darn close to the final product) and added the other sounds in.

take care,
Chris

hmmmm

so nobody has ever heard of a voice changer or processor?? I know they make a unprofessional unit for gags

VoiceChanger? There all kinds of effects that will change the way your voice sounds. It just depends on what type of sound you are looking for. If you want something kind of deep like Treebeard. Try a pitch shifter.

x2x3
Pitch shifting in the digital realm does not slow down the track. That is time compression and expansion. One pitch shifting device also known as a harmonizer (like Eventides h-3000) can be had for a modest price to many thousands of$$ Great device for the guitar player!!
The H-3000 is an older unit but used is modestly priced and also has a pretty fair reverb as well as delay and doubling, chorus, flange, blah blah blah
Stack

Well, I was just watching the DVD's again today, and I have to say it did not sound like the voice had been treated with anything more than a low pass filter and maybe a little pitch shifting down. I could be wrong, but that is what it sounds like to me. It is, more than anything, just a really great voice (John Rhys Davis).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Get a good barritone voice. Put it through a bass harmonizer. I believe there is also quite a bit of compression on it to make it sound bigger, but dont over do it. Could also try putting a delay on it set at about 20 milliseconds. High cut at 16khz.

I bet you will be in the ball park with that.

Danny

i still think that bass harmonizer is the most important effect on his voice though. Thats what makes it sound extremely deep.

Danny

Have you tried slowing it down a touch? It's not like he ever talked very fast so a 20-30% speed reduction probably wouldn't hurt. If it slows down the speed of the talking too much then record the tracks while talking a little fast.

i agree... the voice doesn't sound heavily processed, but the bass has been brought out. james earl jones could do it without even having to tweak the bass.

the creaks and tussles and branches that you hear aren't part of the voice itself.

Are you sure that the tweaks, tussles and branches arnt just part of that guys voice? :)

Usually when i do that i put a bunch of twigs and leaves in the voice actors mouth. Works pretty good.

Danny

Come on now guys! Don't we have any hardcore LOTR fans in here?

They talk about this in TTT extended edition DVDs... Its been awhile since I watched it but as I remember they designed a special wooden sound tube for Davies to speek into (its not ALL just his voice) that had different wood obstacles for the sound waves to get through.

Back