Looking to upgrade my microphone... Any idea whats a good upgrade?

I had a TLM 103 (that I used mainly for voice over work but also some vocals) but I eventually sold it. It suited some voices but seemed a bit harsh on others.

If you want something from the range, the BLM 104 is a bit warmer and more forgiving on a variety of voices.

Having said that, I know I'm a broken record but even the 104 rarely comes out of the cupboard these days--I find some less expensive mics actually sound better to my ear.

I had a TLM 103 (that I used mainly for voice over work but also some vocals) but I eventually sold it. It suited some voices but seemed a bit harsh on others.

If you want something from the range, the BLM 104 is a bit warmer and more forgiving on a variety of voices.

Having said that, I know I'm a broken record but even the 104 rarely comes out of the cupboard these days--I find some less expensive mics actually sound better to my ear.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for, a microphone with warmth, fullness and a microphone that can handle variety of voices mainly for hip hop... What other microphones do you suggest? Besides the BLM 104?

Do you have a link on the BLM 104? Can't seem to google it.

Sorry, typo on my part. The mic I have is the TLM 104...but this is no longer a current Neumann model. It's been basically replaced by the BCM 104 so you can probably see where my typo came from.

The mic I currently use more than my 104 is the sE2200A...about a third the price but far more useful on a variety of stuff (to my ear).

However, when you get up to the level of mic your budget will allow, you probably should be finding a place that lets you try them to see what's right for your voice. I record lots of different people and styles so I have to go with flexible where you can go for "ideal". :)

Honestly, I did a mic shootout a long time ago to show a singer/rapper (sang during verses, rapped during choruses) the difference between a few mics we use for vocals.

Out of a shootout of the SM7b, the TLM 103, and a Miktek CV4, I thought the TLM 103 sounded worse than the $350 SM7b, honestly... I don't personally recommend it if you're looking for a vocal mic to use for a lot of people.

That being said, my buddy just recently bought this microphone...

Mojave Audio MA-200 | Sweetwater.com

And here is something he recorded on it recently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Iqm9ZGV0k&feature=youtu.be

I bloody love how that mic sounds, personally. I think it's at least on par with the Miktek we use at our studio that's about $400 more. That would be my recommended purchase in your price range.

This is not necessarily an upgrade, but If you record a lot of rappers, you should get a SM57. This mic is an industry standard and it is relatively affordable, but you wouldn't believe how many rappers and rock singers have been recorded through it.

If you want to record some really warm rap vocals with a punch old school feel at a low budget try this simple budget set up:

Tracking

- Warm Audio Wa12 preamp (adds somewhat of a "neve" color to your tone. I am not saying it is a Neve, but it does sound really good for less than 300 bucks.
- SM57

- A rather aggressive compressor in the vein of DBX 160 or 1176 (plugins will do) adjusted to taste
- Eq adjusted to taste

This pre and mic will add a lot of variety and will not really replace your rode, but offer you something different at a really good value

Not sure if it helps any but I got thinking recently about whether an upgraded preamp might in some cases improve the vocal-chain more than an upgraded mic...

I have a few cheap-ass mics and in my case I'm sure that it's a mic that I need... However, once I have a better mic (likely to be SE2200a-II-MP) the next thing in the chain will be to upgrade the 2i2 preamps (thinking ISA)...

Would (in the OP's case) the NT1 benefit from a decent preamp more than the OP would benefit from a $1000 mic?

Again... Not sure if it helps but kinda 'might' make sense (in some cases)...

I'm in the boat that thinks that the mic is going to help a hell of a lot more than a nice preamp will, but that's just me.

That being said, a nice preamp will always complement a nice microphone wonderfully. I just don't think investing in a nice pre is worth more than investing in a mic in the same price range.

Find a used Rode NTV and replace the stock Chinese tube with a NOS JAN/Phillips 12AX7.

Like night and day after the tube swap.

Now I would like to send it to Joly and have the windscreen modded but I have too many other gear maintenance projects higher on the priority list.

Last edited:
Back