Looking to upgrade equipment.

inmyheartx

I'm currently just using my Firepod as my Mic Pre's, and I was looking to upgrade my Pre's and interface. I wanted to get the Presonus Digimax96k Mic Pre's. What would I need to get the pre's to work? I know my Firepod is a complete audio interface, but the Digimax96k is just microphone preamps. I'm puzzled at this so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Take care,
Adam.

That may not be the best match of hardware, I'm afraid.

The Digimax is digital out, your choice of 8-channel ADAT optical or 2-channel S/PDIF. As the Firepod does not appear to have ADAT in, you'd be limited to the S/PDIF link, which would limit you to two channels at a time out of the Digi and into the Pod. Kind of a waste of preamps on the Digi side, unless you submix all you microphones...but that'd be kind of self-defeating.

You might want to either invest in a really good dual preamp that could S/PDIF into the firepod. Or you could get the Digi or something like it and invest in an ADAT interface card for your PC, bypassing the Firepod altogether (you could still use the Pod seperately via the FW.)

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
That may not be the best match of hardware, I'm afraid.

The Digimax is digital out, your choice of 8-channel ADAT optical or 2-channel S/PDIF. As the Firepod does not appear to have ADAT in, you'd be limited to the S/PDIF link, which would limit you to two channels at a time out of the Digi and into the Pod. Kind of a waste of preamps on the Digi side, unless you submix all you microphones...but that'd be kind of self-defeating.

You might want to either invest in a really good dual preamp that could S/PDIF into the firepod. Or you could get the Digi or something like it and invest in an ADAT interface card for your PC, bypassing the Firepod altogether (you could still use the Pod seperately via the FW.)

G.

That's what I wanted, to bypass the Firepod and use it for "extra" pre's if I needed them. Is there any chance of getting an ADAT interface on a laptop? Or is that just unheard of. I'm running on a Powerbook G4. Thanks dude. =)

Take care,
Adam.

I can use the Digimax96k with a Digi002 (I read it has a digital I/O ADAT Lightpipe), correct? I know a lot of you don't like Pro Tools, but in my classes i'm learning off of it, so this would be good for me. Are there better mic pre's for a better price than the Digimax 96k? The only reason I chose that is because I own a PreSonus product and i've read that they were good, but I haven't read much on anything else. I just want a really clear, focused sound. Any info is greatly appreciated. =) Thanks!

Take care,
Adam.

Back