Looking for software recommendation for recording one voice to different voice parts

CLPedigo

I am looking for recommendations for software that will allow me to record vocals for different voice parts using my only a single voice. I have many pieces that I need to get samples record for publishing but do not have access to a choir or small ensemble with which to record, nor access to a recording studio. I need software that will facilitate slowing the speed or altering the pitch so as get the range within MY vocal range, and then restore it to the original speed/pitch. While I have created audio files using MIDI instruments, I really need to be able to have the text as part of the demo. I suspect there is a term for this methodology which would help me research further but I am unaware of it right now.
While I am not yet prepared to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for software I would welcome any and all recommendations. Thank you!

Not sure about the slowing down and speeding up part and I don't know what you mean by "I really need to be able to have the text as part of the demo", but try Reaper. It might be what you want. Free demo license, fully-functional. Not expensive if you choose to keep it.

REAPER

Hey Chili,
I took it that midi choirs and voices can do oohs and aaahs and soft pads, but the OP needs the lyrics to be sung for the demo.

Hi CLP,
I'm not sure that there's software out there which will give you adequate results.
Sure, I've created harmonies by duplicating and retuning the main line before, but the limits of how far you can go before it sounds bad are always pretty tight.

Maybe you could hook up with someone who already has a home studio setup and the ability to sing your additional harmony parts?

I was thinking he wanted to sing the parts himself.

I think OP does want to sing the parts himself. I also think he has in mind what you use to be able to do with tape: slow the tape down, record, then playback at normal speed, thereby raising the pitch of your voice.

These days you can achieve the same effect, but you don't need to slow down or speed up anything, and indeed, Reaper can do it.

For example, OP may have a midi harmony line that's a fifth above the melody line and out of the OP's vocal range. In Reaper, you transpose the midi down 5, sing along to it and record, then pitch-shift your recorded vocal up 5. That is a very simple trick.

But simple pitch shifting is not going to sound very convincing. You may get away with maybe 2 or 3 semitones. It soon starts sounding unrealistic.

To get realistic harmonies from your voice requires considerably more, and that is an area beyond my experience.

I think OP does want to sing the parts himself. I also think he has in mind what you use to be able to do with tape: slow the tape down, record, then playback at normal speed, thereby raising the pitch of your voice.

These days you can achieve the same effect, but you don't need to slow down or speed up anything, and indeed, Reaper can do it.

For example, OP may have a midi harmony line that's a fifth above the melody line and out of the OP's vocal range. In Reaper, you transpose the midi down 5, sing along to it and record, then pitch-shift your recorded vocal up 5. That is a very simple trick.

But simple pitch shifting is not going to sound very convincing. You may get away with maybe 2 or 3 semitones. It soon starts sounding unrealistic.

To get realistic harmonies from your voice requires considerably more, and that is an area beyond my experience.

Agreed - there's a small window after which you can tell it's pitch shifted. I guess you could try one of those harmonziers - I've never used one but for "fun" gigs it might be ok :)

A TC Helicon-type harmonizer is about the only thing that does it 'ok' - problem is that it is not really good for intricate harmonies, just for doing the usual 3rd/5th/octave-type stuff, when driven either by an input instrument (guitar) or preset. Surely someone has come with a plug in that does the same now? I've tried the ReaPitch and ReaTune things and it sounds like Alvin & the Chipmunks no matter the tweaking.

Thank you!

You are correct, I want to sing the parts myself and change them to SATB. I misspoke when I said the text, I meant the lyrics. I will check out Reaper, that sounds promising. Thank you for the information!

Across that kind of range?

Yeah, it edits something called 'formants' so you don't get the chipmunk effect. The end result is a product of the source. Meaning Melodyne doesn't work well with distorted, raspy or rough voices. But if the singers tone is more pure, it can shift an octave and sound okay. Perfect?? I don't know. I have kind of a raspy voice, so never really tried...

If you were looking for something equivalent to a midi choir but with lyrics, there's also vocaloid and a few other singing synthesis programs that include lyrics. (Wikipedia it for a more comprehensive list)

Back