Looking for Examples of good recordings...

mattkw80

I am looking to download some sound clips of what is considered to be "good recordings"

ie:
What does a great bass guitar sound like, recorded well?
What does a great recording of drums sound like ?
What does a piano sound like recorded well ?

I want to use these a references. I am a beginner, and I need
a benchmark. I have alot of good gear, but little knowlegde and
and a weak, undeveloped ear.

Check out any CD you already own of any band you like, and there are your examples. You will have to just keep practicing if you want to improve your ear and your skills. After awhile you will learn what sounds good to you and what don't.

there are thousands of excellent recordings out there, and a lot of it is very subjective. the most important thing for you to do is find good recordings in the genre of music you're interested in recording yourself. Because giving you examples of Pink Floyyd or the Beatles isn't going to help if your into hip-hop. Most professional CDs are recorded and mixed VERY well. So what type of music do you play, and maybe we can help.

And for Gawd's sake, don't be downloading 160kbps MP3's and trying to use them as benchmarks for good sound...

Good Waves ?

Is there a place on the internet where I could download
some individual instruments recorded well in wave format ?

mattkw80 said:
Is there a place on the internet where I could download
some individual instruments recorded well in wave format ?

Try a search engine like google, and type in what you are looking for (i.e. violin wav.), or go to freestuff.com. They have a whole section devoted to free sounds in wav. format you can download.

mattkw80 said:
Great idea, I'll give it a try.

If you do download some of them, keep in mind that they are not all created equal. Pick the ones that are 16-bit or higher and at least 41.1k. The rest are lower than bad mp3.

Back