Looking to buy a new headphone amplifier!!!

meecow1490

Hey guys im looking to buy a new headphone amp and i think im going to get either the Presonus HP4 or the Behringer HA4700. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!!

Peter

Take a look at the ART units...

They're in the same price range as the units mentioned and they have some nice features...

I have a powerplay and an HP4. I like the headroom of the HP4 but dislike the features (like the lack of inputs). I hate the headroom and noise of the powerplay but love the aux inputs for each channel.

The Behringer didn't cost me a dime so I don't mind and the HP4 is what I like to use the most because of the headroom (plenty for a drummer for example).

I hate the headroom and noise of the powerplay but love the aux inputs for each channel.

Interesting, we have one in the studio and it's very quiet, when I first installed it I had an earth loop problem but I fixed that up and it works great. For the price it's hard to beat and no one has complained about the quality of the headphones. My old system was a 100 watt a side power amp with a headphone bus on the output, very loud but was a bit noisy.

With volume, remember that the ohms of the headphones affects the output of the headphone amp.

Cheers
Alan.

I recently found a Behringer HA4700 on Craigslist for $50. Very happy with it. Especially the AUX inputs. Great for cranking guitars in a drummers mix while tracking, yet keeping a good mix for others.

It's nice when things work out... I feel like you guys really made a connection :P

but seriously... I have a question about these headphone amps.

I would guess you need a big pro mixing board to use these right? Are you creating different mixes for each headphone? So like the drummer doesn't hear as much vocals and the guitarist hears the guitar louder than it really is or something? Is that what these things are for? Or does it just send the same mix to everyone at different overall volume?:confused::confused::confused:

Naw man. With the HA I have, I use a send from say a guitar channel, to an output of my interface. Take that out to an AUX input on the headphone amp. It also has a mix knob to control volume added to the main out mix. Four separate channels to do this with. A total of four mixes with 16 possible headphones used at once. The main sends L/R (1/2) feed into the headphone amp and get the same signal as my main monitors. You can add to that in any of the four via the separate AUX in's from any of you interfaces outputs. Mixing is done in the unit itself.

I don't know how I tracked before I got this thingy. :D

Oh and IMO, headphone amps are a must for recording. Both of my headphone amps have more gain (clean gain to boot) than my interface's headphone outs.

PM'd you both doodz.

Back