Live recording question

DM60,
the setup that I am using is vocal mics, 2 SM58s and 3 other mics owned by the venue but I can't remember what they are. 2 instrument inputs and one Room mic, a Studio Projects B1, hanging from the ceiling. I can swap out any of the mics for extra instrument channels if I need to.

All these are going into my Zoom R16, and I'm sending a Left and Right feed to a small live mixing desk. I don't have channel splitters and the desk does not have pre-fader outs.

Because there is no time to sound check, the people arrive, plug in and perform, so I just have to record what I get.

Now, because the show is an open mic night I rarely use all of my vocal mics, also, people come along with sometimes crappy gear, for example, the guy in the recording I posted above, his guitar was coming in really distorted. Most of the acts are one voice, one guitar, although sometimes I get more. If you've ever been to an open mic night, you know that anybody can turn up.

I then mix in Reaper, but I am really trying to cut back on a lot of the effects. I've been dialing back on the heavy compression I used to use, and also the heavy reverb. I'm trying to be careful with high pass filters and doing things like a slight boost at about 2000Hz on the vocal, which seems to be working pretty well. I rarely get bass guitars, which is good because I have never been happy with the way I mix bass guitars.

I'm not educated in what I am doing, I have just been learning by doing for a few years now. I've probably picked up loads of bad habits, but I'm try to get rid of those.

DM60,
the setup that I am using is vocal mics, 2 SM58s and 3 other mics owned by the venue but I can't remember what they are. 2 instrument inputs and one Room mic, a Studio Projects B1, hanging from the ceiling. I can swap out any of the mics for extra instrument channels if I need to.

All these are going into my Zoom R16, and I'm sending a Left and Right feed to a small live mixing desk. I don't have channel splitters and the desk does not have pre-fader outs.

Because there is no time to sound check, the people arrive, plug in and perform, so I just have to record what I get.

Now, because the show is an open mic night I rarely use all of my vocal mics, also, people come along with sometimes crappy gear, for example, the guy in the recording I posted above, his guitar was coming in really distorted. Most of the acts are one voice, one guitar, although sometimes I get more. If you've ever been to an open mic night, you know that anybody can turn up.

I then mix in Reaper, but I am really trying to cut back on a lot of the effects. I've been dialing back on the heavy compression I used to use, and also the heavy reverb. I'm trying to be careful with high pass filters and doing things like a slight boost at about 2000Hz on the vocal, which seems to be working pretty well. I rarely get bass guitars, which is good because I have never been happy with the way I mix bass guitars.

I'm not educated in what I am doing, I have just been learning by doing for a few years now. I've probably picked up loads of bad habits, but I'm try to get rid of those.

Thanks for the feed back. I am getting ready to go out and do some live recording.

I have pretty much spec'd out what I am going to to use, now have to get the money together to execute. Tascam 1800, laptop for tracking only, Reaper (I was going to do the portastudio, but for about $100 more I can get what I think is a better set up) and probably purchase a couple of more 57 or 58's so I have enough mics. Might be over kill, but I want to make sure I have everything needed to get the sound captured as well as possible.

I can't listen to your stuff (at work), but from my own experience running an open mic, the only thing you should have to worry about capturing is any amps or drums on stage that normally would not be miked to the PA - do you have those? Room mics can be used to capture the ambience, not the direct sound.

Back