little home studio mixers

guitardude

So I was thinking about getting a small mixer either

Behringer Eurorack UB1202 Mixer or Yamaha MG10/2 Stereo Mixer

Any suggestions between the two? It will mainly be for acoustic guitar and vocals. Possibly some drums also.

I"m looking for something along the cheap side but is not to bad at all.

thanks.

The Yamaha tends to get better reviews around these parts. No personal experience with either one.

I've heard that the the behringer mixers are a bit noisy, but again, I haven't had any experience with either one of them.

I have one of those little Behringers, and yes it is crap. I've only listened to the Yamaha MGs once or twice, but they were alot better.

I don't get it - these Yamaha mixers seem very affordable, yet they seem to be held in higher regard to the Behringer mixers (around the same price point) and the Mackie mixers (higher in price). How is it that the Yamaha manages to be so much better for less cash? What makes it better than these other mixers?

I wouldn't say MGs are better than mackies, but Behringer puts more into marketing and making their stuff look good than they do in making the stuff sound good.

amonte said:
I don't get it - these Yamaha mixers seem very affordable, yet they seem to be held in higher regard to the Behringer mixers (around the same price point) and the Mackie mixers (higher in price). How is it that the Yamaha manages to be so much better for less cash? What makes it better than these other mixers?
Maybe because it's a newer design. I've got a 10/2 and think it's a very nice little mixer. I think the pres are quite decent.

I have both of them, and they both work well. No problems with either. I use the 1202 as a mic mixer for choir mics at church. I use the Yamaha as a mixer for my guitar rig.

Ed

I have a small Behringer 4 xlr inpur (dont know mod #) and a Yamaha MG32/4
The Behringer sucks next to the yamaha.

Behringer = hiss
Yamaha = very low noise.

I let my kids use the Behringer for karaoke. I dont think I will use it anymore.

I also have three other Behringer mixers. No hiss from any of them. Perhaps the one you have has problems.

The 1202 we use replaced a large Mackie board (for the choir portion). Listening through headphones, there is no audible difference in sound between them.

Ed

timboZ said:
I let my kids use the Behringer for karaoke.
Is that the Department of Children and Family Services I hear knocking at you door?

Just kidding...killing time waiting for a client to arrive... ;) :D

G.

hey all thanks!

well I went to guitar center last night and this guy told me to get the alesis multimix8 usb. It plugs directly into the computer. However i'm trying to make something happen with this and its' not. It's picking up the mic but no sound is being recorded. I'm using cubase SX 2.0.

I dont kno what Im doing wrong.

Bad mixer good mixer?

if I got the yamaha instead how do you plug that directely into your computer?

The Yamahas are the best value for money. The Alesis ones are of the Behringer sound quality level ... so I'd suggest you get a Yammy and start saving for a half-decent sound card. :)

Nik

MG's are much better than the Behringer's. Mackie XDR pre-amps are a little quieter and have a little more headroom, but they are obviously a bit more.

I have a little Yamaha MX12/4 mixer I picked up for $100 and it seems ok for what it is. I assume it is similar to the newer MG series stuff. Small little mixer, good for remotes, submixes...whatever.

Back