Which Line 6 Interface is Better for Practicing/Recording at Home?

MatthewIan84

VS.jpg

Which Line 6 Home Recording/Practice Set-Up is Best? (For recording metal/rock music)

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this... It's been a while having lost all my equipment 4 years ago right when my band was very active. But right now I'm looking to get a home setup where I can easily record and practice. Nothing crazy or fancy, but something I can setup fairly quickly or take with me, but also something that will allow me to produce and record demos for my metal/nu-metal band, Caidema (http://www.facebook.com/caidemaband).

I'm really interested in a direct recording But I also know that just mic'ing an amp can be much better. After a lot of research for my budget ($300) I've been looking at the Line 6 POD UX1 and the POD UX2. I'm Leaning more towards the Line 6 POD UX1 more than the other. What I'm not sure about is if if I should go with the UX1, or one of these: Line 6 POD 2.0, POD XT, or Pocket POD. All I need is to be able to plug my guitar and headphones into it (without an amplifier) and be able to practice whenever, wherever (and not piss off the neighbors.) I also need to be able to turn on my computer,set everything up, load up the PODfarm, audacity and record my guitar, vocals, etc. I have $300 to get what I need for the setup, required cables and wires, and microphone if possible.

Down the line I'll buy more equipment, but for now I just need a simple "I live on my grandfather's couch" setup. Just not sure which one of those I should go with. OR would it be better to go with my other option: buy a 15-30w Line 6 spider amp, buy a microphone to mic the amp, and buy a different USB Audio Interface. (All for under $300 somehow)

What do you guys think?

Line 6 POD Studio UX1 or Line 6 POD 2.0, Line 6 PODxt, POD Pocket
(Or if there is any other product I don't have listed please let me know)

• Line 6 POD Studio UX1 (with Podfarm) - Amazon.com: Line 6 POD Studio UX1: Musical Instruments
XU1.jpg

• Line 6 POD 2.0 - Amazon.com: Line 6 POD 2.0 Desktop Recording Device For Guitar: Musical Instruments
POD.jpg

• Line 6 Pocket Pod (used) - http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-99-075...TF8&qid=1416023270&sr=1-2&keywords=Line+6+Pod
pOCKET.jpg

Attachments

• POD  2.0.png
    POD 2.0.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 597
My answer would be 'None Of The Above'. Looks like a blog advert for Line 6 gear to me...

I call...

If somehow this is real, I commend you and your bands past productions. The new one better than the others but the goods were there before.

You will not achieve that level of quality with a Line 6. Members here will give straight up advice and it is possible to get some useable tones for home jamming with the PODs. Just don't expect to get the tone that is heard on the link you posted.

Though I must say, this all sounds fake as hell to me.

PM me if I am wrong and we can remove my comments and start over. :)

Last edited:
I agree with Jimmy, not about the sounds, no qualified! But on sheer versatility especially for a band situation where you are surely going to want to record demos or at least tracks to help you improve?

$300 buys you the Native Instruments KA6, with $70 change for cables and that comes with Cubase A1 which I am sure has a version of Amplitube in it and even if not, guitar mangling plugin freebies are legion. Or look at Reaper.

In addition to the front combi XLRs the KA6 has two line inputs so, with a small mixer you could record guitar in the front plus a stereo mix of the rest of the band.

The modellers are all very well but peeps tell me the best sounds come from a mic in front of a cab.

Dave.

Yeah the pocket pod and pod 2.0 are 3 generations behind at this point. Old tech that I wouldn't mess with personally.

The toneport UX1 is fine for this application but it's not going to get you the tone you posted. You can either use Reaper or the included abelton live lite (personally I would use reaper). The included DAW with any hardware shouldn't be a qualifying factor unless you want pro tools.

I personally prefer the podfarm stuff to guitar rig (NI) owning both.

If you can spring for it I would go with the UX2 for a few reasons:

1. If you ever snag a nicer interface you can use it to add 2 more inputs with the digital out port on the back.
2. The UX1 does not have phantom power, the UX2 does.
3. The UX2 can record 2 sources at once, the UX1 can't.
4. The UX2 has a padded interface for instruments with hotter outputs such as active basses.
5. The UX1 has a shared gain knob for the analog outs and the headphone out. The UX2 has separate controls.

Yeah, you can pick up used pocked PODs real cheap because they are old. The new PodFarm modeling is a lot better than the original versions (but still not very good for metal - neither are the Line 6 15 & 30 watt amps).
Get a decent interface to plug your guitar into the computer, and you can use ANY modeling software.

Back