Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Layering rock guitars 101

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Just to cap this off here, because it's turning into an interface thread rather than a guitar layering thread, it looks like the M-Audio M-Track is probably the closest thing to what I'm looking for, and a friend of mine likes his a lot. I see one at B&H for $60, so I'm going to try and sell my mixer and use the money to buy one.

I very much appreciate everyone's input on interfaces and signal chain, even if it was off-topic.

Now, let's get back to talking about guitar layering. I was getting some really great advice, and I'd like to keep it coming, both for my benefit and for that of others who are looking for the same info.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard Nova View Post
    Just to cap this off here, because it's turning into an interface thread rather than a guitar layering thread, it looks like the M-Audio M-Track is probably the closest thing to what I'm looking for, and a friend of mine likes his a lot. I see one at B&H for $60, so I'm going to try and sell my mixer and use the money to buy one.

I very much appreciate everyone's input on interfaces and signal chain, even if it was off-topic.

Now, let's get back to talking about guitar layering. I was getting some really great advice, and I'd like to keep it coming, both for my benefit and for that of others who are looking for the same info.
    That's all very well and good, but I think you should focus on recording one good guitar track before you start trying to stack a bunch of bad tracks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    That's all very well and good, but I think you should focus on recording one good guitar track before you start trying to stack a bunch of bad tracks.
    This is a great point. And one that myself and others are trying to make clear. There is not much point in layering if the initial signal sounds like crap.

None of us are trying to tell you you need to spend big bucks to get a decent sound, but you have to understand that if you do not get a worthy signal in to any recording device, you are screwed from the get go. Nothing 'off topic' was stated in responses.

Please take a minute to understand that many of us are here to help. Not trying to derail your thread. You cant layer shit with another layer of shit and expect it to sound like anything other than multiple layers of shit. Maybe a new turd could be created..lol

Purchasing an interface is the first step in being able to 'layer' guitar tracks, as per your question. At least the first step to getting one good one to be worthy of layering.

You may find you don't even need to if you had the first step down.

Just trying to help man. It not like I hang out here just to screw with people and try to give poor advice. Listen dood..
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    This is what you need to do man, really...Keep tweaking your ampsims until they sound how you want, & record the very best performance you can possibly do, then use the mentioned tips about changing the sound a little to compliment one another, record another great performance like the first one, pan 'em out a little, & you'd be surprised how good something could sound with 2 guitar tracks panned in the mix....

Some advice I can give you on ampsims/modelers are:

Use less gain than you normally do (this has been mentioned already), as if/when you start to stack/layer tracks too much gain will cause them to sound muddy & undefined...

Use the knobs on the ampsims, don't be afraid to try an amp with the bass on 10, mids on 10, & the treble on 0, it's not about what settings you're using, it's how it sounds...Twist the knobs, push all the buttons & learn what each one of them does on a particular ampsim/modeler...

Don't be afraid to try different amp/cab/stompbox/fx combinations...Sure, my POD X3Live has a bunch of Marshall amp simulations along with a bunch of Marshall cabs, but that doesn't necessiarily mean they actually sound like a Marshall amp through a Marshall cab...

Eq is your friend, every ampsim/modeler I've ever used has certain frequencies that make them unmistakeably noticeable as simulations, especially in the high-mid to high-end range...A little eq cut here/there can help smooth the sound out to make it more realistic...Remember though, a little goes a long way...

Reverb is your friend too, but like eq, a little goes a long way...Just a touch of room reverb may be all it takes to bring your ampsim's sound to life by making it sound like it was recorded in a real room...

But the best advice I can give is to experiment & try things that you normally wouldn't or haven't. That's when you learn & figure something out that you'll remember for the next track/song...

Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Don't worry, I don't feel screwed with! I was just trying to say "You've all told me to get an interface, and told me why. I heard you, I understand, and I agree. I'm going to look for an interface." If I need more help with that beyond the GREAT advice you all have given me, there are other interface threads on here.

So, I just want to get back to guitar layering so that once I get my interface I'll have some tips should I still choose to layer, and so that other people who want to layer can also have access to that info.

Thanks
    Great advice, thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    You cant layer shit with another layer of shit and expect it to sound like anything other than multiple layers of shit.
    A new quote for my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    You can't layer shit with another layer of shit and expect it to sound like anything other than multiple layers of shit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard Nova View Post
    So, I just want to get back to guitar layering so that once I get my interface I'll have some tips should I still choose to layer, and so that other people who want to layer can also have access to that info.
    Get an interface and start recording/learning. There is no 101, rule book or anything else that'll really help you. Record a track and then record another, experiment, mess with the sounds until you get what YOU like. Picture it in your head and hear it before you lay it down. Does the track want 1 guitar or 4? Only you will know. Don't think for a minute you have to have X amount of layered guitars to make it sound good. Most of the time, less is more!

Someone could give you the amp, comp, eq, delay and reverb settings for a nice sound for them. Doesn't mean it'll work for you. No one has been to the Multi-Layering Guitar Tracks school. It's all about trial and error. If you think there is a magic formula or plugin to make it happen, you're very much mistaken.

Time for you to start playing and learning the craft, from the beginning. No two ways about it. (As it would be for anyone else stumbling upon this thread)

Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! - TheMrClean.co.uk

Thanks
    There's actually a very real possibility that once you get started you'll end up thinking to yourself "man, layered guitars really suck".

I really do think layering guitars is one of those myths/cliches that people think they need to do because so-and-so did it. People do a lot of things in recording that they think they're supposed to do, when the reality is they don't. I'm not saying don't try, just don't get caught up in doing unnecessary things. You seem to be hellbent on layering guitar tracks, and that's cool, just don't think that you absolutely have to do it, because you don't.

Thanks
    There's actually a very real possibility that once you get started you'll end up thinking to yourself "man, layered guitars really suck".

I really do think layering guitars is one of those myths/cliches that people think they need to do because so-and-so did it. People do a lot of things in recording that they think they're supposed to do, when the reality is they don't. I'm not saying don't try, just don't get caught up in doing unnecessary things. You seem to be hellbent on layering guitar tracks, and that's cool, just don't think that you absolutely have to do it, because you don't.
    I'm not hell bent, Honest! It was something I wanted to try because there was a part of one of my songs where in my head I thought it would work, so I was trying to get some obvious no-nos out of the way.

Thread Information