Isolation Headphones

blackdiscoball

Dont really know the best thread to put this in so here it goes. If you need Isolation headphones (which i did for recording a drummer but dont want to pay the 100+ dollar isolation headphones here is a trick for you. Buy those hunting headphones that cut off the noise when your shooting. So what you do is put some headphone speakers inside and wam bam thank you man, you have some 25 decible vut iso headphones. While this doesn't sound revolutionary and it probable isn't I havent heard of anyone doing it and I just thought I would share my DIY. Ill post picts if anyone wants.

I bought a couple diffrent pair, and they were ok, then I just got some shure in-ear monitors, and I use them most of the time when I do a live recording, because It does a really good job isolating the bass over the other kind. I find that I can actually hear with them on, and that is what I like.

Sounds like your idea might work.

I used to wear earbuds with shooter's muffs over them. It wasn't real comfortable, and the crod interferes with the seal a little. One could get the muffs, drill 'em, anstall drivers from a set of 'phones, but you'd pay at leas $20 in pieces, and probably more like $40-80, depending on the quality. You can buy Vic Firth 'phones for like $50, and Extreme Isolation for about $80.

Well my headphones got thier first test tonight and worked with flying colors! I could stand right next to the drums while the drummer was playing and with the headphones turned up I could hear just what was coming through the mike! I was very happy with their success/

I tried that too. just wasnt comfortable to me..glad it works for some, thanks for the tip. I now use Etymotic ER-4 isolation earphones..and MAN! they are the best ive ever used in ANY price range. I own some 600 dollar sennheisers, some akgs, and some shures..and these etymotics smoke em all.can stand in front of a stack and hear everything i am mixing.

Hi, i agree with curtiswyant. The extreme isolation headphones was designed by a drummer. I purchased the sennheiser 280 pro for recording drums, and they work mid-great, the sound is good, but dont´s stables in my head if I am not stay quiet on drums. And the specifications of isolation ( 32 db´s) not really. Excuse my english...

Back