The Internet's Best Recording Resources

Is there a way we can get an update on the links from the first page? A lot of them a broken links and I am really interested to read those articles.

You could hunt them down yourself and post them here... I'm sure the mods will update the original post for you.:thumbs up:

Hey guys I'm really new to this sight so I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this. I just started researching how I can start recording in my house. I have some money saved up, and kind of have a kind of start up list of what I need to start off my home studio. For my DAW I'm going to use REAPER, for my interface I'm going to get Focusrite Scarlett Solo, for my mic, MXL 770, for my keyboard, Akai professional MPK Mini, and I'm going to get AKG studio headphones, I know I need some mic accessories, some sound isolaters or whatever they're called. Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for starting of software and hardware, if I'm doing it right and so on... Thanks a bunch.

Hey guys I'm really new to this sight so I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this. I just started researching how I can start recording in my house. I have some money saved up, and kind of have a kind of start up list of what I need to start off my home studio. For my DAW I'm going to use REAPER, for my interface I'm going to get Focusrite Scarlett Solo, for my mic, MXL 770, for my keyboard, Akai professional MPK Mini, and I'm going to get AKG studio headphones, I know I need some mic accessories, some sound isolaters or whatever they're called. Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for starting of software and hardware, if I'm doing it right and so on... Thanks a bunch.

With what you have mentioned above a seasoned homewrecker could lay down some fantastic recordings...well what you have mentioned and a decent PC or Imac with an i5 processor or higher with maybe at least 8 gigs of ram...You're good to go just plug it all in and hang out at Cocko's (Reaper land) tons of helpful people there to get you up and running....then make music and prosper.

This is a couple years old but i just saw it today and i thought it would be really useful info to anyone recording real drums as well as any live instruments.
YouTube

Just saw this vid on using saturation before compression to even out snare better that compression alone. Useful for any very dynamic source that is uneven volume wise:

Shame on me for not posting much like I used to (still active' but not as much.
I've always enjoyed the 'helping part as much as the rest, (gathered a lot in the last fifty years or so, and sharing feels well.. goot right :>)
But lately -or not so lately actually come to lament the loss (apparently?) of so many of the manufacturer's basic user help pages we used to have available. Rane's Professional Audio Reference! Was a jewel of information, hell I'd still use it. Shure, EV others, had a bunch. 'Poking around tonight for what might be still around -again, this time a fellow just needing some real basic mic usage stuff.. and here checking my best guess places, but alas many of the links dead.

Last edited:
has this OP been updated lately? I guess I'm looking for info on the latest word on achieving home master recording rather than what I've been doing up until now, which has been home demo recording. Need to know if I can actually record a master that's good enough for release, on the technical side of things.

Mic comparison - Test out Mics! - Audio test kitchen is great. It's not the same as testing with your own voice, but better than buying blind.

Ear training sessions - Train your earholes!! - Soundgym is a great tool for training your ears. Great reference!

Make sure you check out Joe Gilder on youtube. Straight forward and to the point with time tested techniques. Joe simplifies the whole process in an easy to understand fashion.

YouTube in general is a great resource. Hard to beat the visual reference to go along with the explanation. However, lots of bad info on there, too. Just be careful!

Back