Interface suggestions?

BenjaminC

Hi Guys,

I am new on the forum & new to recording. I am a drummer & I am looking for suggestions on an interface with 8pre's and a pair of monitors to track drums. My budget is $1500 for both, not including software.

I have a great kit & a great set of mics. (Anchor Drums 4 plies of Mahogany w/ a natural walnut outer ply and 10ply reinforcement rings & Heil HDK-8 pack.) for those who care. I also have a pair of Audix Condensers.

I would like to run Presonus StudioOne 2.5 Pro, as my guitarist is already using studio one and has a 2 channel interface. This way we can send new material back and forth in the writing process. I also want to get the highest quality recording I can.

I am open to buying equipment & having it modded if it means getting the best sound.

Thanks in advance for any help & Suggestions

-Ben

Hello , I can tell you what I have done for percussion. For a home situation on a budget the Alesis synthethic trigger system with ez drummer, is hard to beat. You tap it in on the pads and play it out. No worries about room or mic-ing. Then edit it in the midi window with the dots. The ability to stretch and edit the measure is incredible, and really gives some latitude for weaker players, like me. I am not the best drummer , but find ways to capture the excitement.

Here is a 30 sec clip using the Alesis drums off reel.
View attachment ffcdc.mp3

I had quite a bit of luck with the Tascam US1800. Most all of the samples on my website are recorded with it. I have since moved on to better interfaces, but can't say the preamps sound any better to me.

I would rather see you spend more on your monitors and room treatment, than a bunch of money on an interface. Just my opinion.

Not that I'm trying to hijack your thread, but I was about to post a very similar question. I'm finding it a bit tricky to sort through all the info online to work out what's going to suit me the best.

I'm looking for an audio interface, for recording vocals and guitars (which I will want to plug straight in). I'm using Logic Pro 8 on a Mac. I will be using a Rode NT-2A for the vocals. I don't care about features, as I will be doing all my mixing in logic. All I want is a really nice sound going into the computer, so I guess something with decent preamps. Unline OP, i only need 2/2 in terms of i/o.

I've looked at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Steinberg UR22 and Mackie Onyx Blackjack. Out of these I was leaning towards the Steinberg on the basis of good reviews.

My main question... For what I am needing the interface for, will it be worth spending more and getting something like the RME Babyface or Apogee Duet 2? Will I get a better raw sound in (if that makes sense)?

Thanks for the input Jimmy. Ive been looking at the Tascam 1800 & the 2000. I have heard some really good samples from them. peoples opinion seems to be about 50/50, The main downside ive read about are the drivers. did you have issues with yours? Any advice on monitors? Ive read a lot of good things about the Behringer truth b3031a's. im also looking at the Mackie MR8-Mk3's

The 1800 seems to be a pretty nice box (I don't own it but seems to have good reviews) and is on sale at Guitar Center for $199. I think the only down side is the USB is only 4 outs (as far as I can tell), but it has 8 ins, so connections wouldn't be a problem and would not require a mixer.

I have a two channel, but use a mixer for the connections, if this had been out, I would have saved $100 on a mixer/interface combo. So, this would not a bad purchase.

Just to be clear, the 1800 has 16 input channels that will record to 16 simultaneous and separate tracks in DAW. Out of the box, you can record 10 mics at once. Inputs 9/10 also have preamps, and a XLR to 1/4" cable can be used (I have done this myself). Channels 11-14 are line inputs. 15/16 are digital inputs. I have used them all at the same time for a couple years.

Yes, the unit only has 4 outs (from computer). Two of them you would use as a stereo pair to hook up your monitors. The other you could use for outboard gear or a headphone distribution amp, whatever. The unit is not designed to run outs to a mixer or multiple outboard gear.

I have had no issues with drivers on XP, Vista or W7. Worked flawlessly with Cubase LE5, Cubase 5, Cubase 6, up until the introduction of Cubase 7. Then latency couldn't be changed without restart of Cubase. Just a workflow thing. Still worked flawlessly otherwise.

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything monitor wise, under $300 a pair used, and I have gotten some really good deals via Craigslist. My main monitors now are KRKG2 8's. I also have a bad taste in my mouth from the KRKG2 5's. Monitors are a personal opinion, and mine will be different from others. My room is also quite well treated, which means I am able to hear what monitors are saying to me, without the room influencing that.

The monitors you mentioned, I have no experience with, so can't really give an opinion either way.

You are best listening for yourself. Problem there, is the environment isn't yours. Best to go buy a pair at Guitar Center, take them home and try. Then take them back if they suck in your room. Even then, it really take time to know what it is you are listening for, or how your mixes translate on any given pair. It is a bit of a hit/miss kind of game.

Last edited:
Back