Input types and input levels...

yarrick

Hello,

I am getting into computer based recording and have come along a few *basic* questions that I am unclear on, and I hoping I can get them cleared up here.

I recently purchased a M-Audio Quattro usb interface for recording into Cubase SX. The Quattro is equiped with 4 1/4" TRS inputs and 4 1/4" TRS outputs.

I am planning on feeding all of my inputs (guitars, vocals, etc) through a Mackie CR 1604 mixer (to use its pre amps) and then either out the channel access "ports" or the mains and then into the Quattro.

So, since the inputs on the Quattro are TRS, do I need to get a 1/4" stereo(TRS) adapter for my 1/4" mono(TS) cable on the end I am inserting it into the Quattro, or will a standard 1/4" cable work fine?

Also, should I run the input levels on the Quattro at +4dBu or at -10dBv?

Thanks for your help! Its much appreciated.
Paul

First check your Mackie literature to see what the output levels are going to be nominally, I suspect they are typical line out levels (-10dBm). I suspect your Quattro inputs are probably also typical line ins (-10 dBm). This information is often stamped right on the unit somewhere near the inputs and outputs.

As far as cables, it's better to stay with the TRS cables because of the inherent protection from noise, however, most TRS inputs and output jacks are set up to also standard 1/4" cables. This is how I connect my Mackie main outputs to my monitors.

Read your documentation to be sure, or e-mail/call the maufacturer, better safe than sorry.

Back