I need something to record on, and then be able to move to my computer

BBlack

I started out recording into a mixer that went into a MacBook, but I don't always have access to the computer. I'm looking for something that I can just record onto, and be able to transfer the tracks into Logic to mix. I don't know if a 4 track will do this ok, but I just need some help.

On digital and analog multi tracks, can you set volume levels and fades and stuff all on the machine? I've been confused about that for a while.

Thanks

i don't know what file formats logic will accept and load, but most computer daws will load .wav files of 16 and/or24 bit, 44.1khz -48khz. many of the digital portastudios work in that kind of format. i have used two tascam products, the dp01-fx and the tascam 2488. both upload to the pc just fine, (and will with a mac as well)

and there are lot's of other good units out there depending on how many tracks you need available and how many tracks you want to be able to record at once. yamaha, korg, roland, boss, etc. so it really depends on what you need.

and to answer your second question. most in the box systems let you do almost everything without having to export to a cpu. with my boss br1200cd i can do everything from adding reverb and chorus effects, to panning, setting compression levels, eq levels, fade in/fade out, bouncing, adding vocal effects such as pitch correction, even all the way down to mastering and burning your cd. these units are extremely versatile and pretty portable.

is that all you have to spend. im not a big fan of the fostex stuff. if i were you id look into boss, roland, korg, or tascam stuff.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...rack-Digital-Recording-Workstation?sku=500689

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-DP02CF-Recording-Package?sku=582234

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BR1200CD-Digital-Recording-Studio?sku=241013

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BR900CD-Digital-Recording-Studio?sku=241150

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=241796V

just a few of the ones i like.

as for automation, some do have it but they are usually the costlier ones. but you can always ride the faders your self when bouncing down.

What would I bounce it to? Could I just play it into Logic or something?

Are there any recorders with just the bare minimum, 4 or 8 tracks and an output to bounce each track to the computer?

it doesn't really work that way any more. you would usually plug your usb cable into your CPU and your unit. then export that way. mine acts like a jump drive kinda. or if your unit use compact flash then you just take the card out and put it in your CPU. as far as bouncing, you can bounce to Cd, or to another set of stereo tracks on your unit.

Could we perhaps keep personal insults to the Cave? The sub-text of part of this thread will be lost on most and that's for the best, so could we leave it at that?

If my question makes no sense to you then it doesn't apply to you! :)

I'm looking at a Fostex Mr8-MkII right now. Can it create automations for volume, effects, and EQ?
I just bought one of those for my father-in-law a couple of days ago. He's 81 and technically challenged. I bought it for its simplicity more than anything else.
I spent a whole day trying to get a new CF card to work (it didn't) and last night, updated the software via USB (Successfully).
I paid $175 Ca. not bad but I haven't really tried it out yet.
I own the Korg D3200 which is most likely the best for home studios. Maybe even a little over the top.
But here's a thing... Before USB connections became "The Way" we were using mini discs and Cd's to transfer data. There are still plenty of those machines around and for cheap.
Yamaha and Roland got left behind but were both making good machines with nice preamps.
I'd be checking "Craigslist" for some sweet deals.

Can we please follow Jim Lad's lead and return to the topic at hand? Or I'll just delete all the irrelevant posts.

I just bought one of those for my father-in-law a couple of days ago. He's 81 and technically challenged. I bought it for its simplicity more than anything else.
I spent a whole day trying to get a new CF card to work (it didn't) and last night, updated the software via USB (Successfully).
I paid $175 Ca. not bad but I haven't really tried it out yet.
I own the Korg D3200 which is most likely the best for home studios. Maybe even a little over the top.
But here's a thing... Before USB connections became "The Way" we were using mini discs and Cd's to transfer data. There are still plenty of those machines around and for cheap.
Yamaha and Roland got left behind but were both making good machines with nice preamps.
I'd be checking "Craigslist" for some sweet deals.

Thanks for the info.

I've looked around at some minidisc recorders, and they definitely seem like a good option. Would I need to get a minidisc player for my computer to be able to transfer tracks from the disc to the computer?

Can't say without looking at the machine you purchase but they all have some way of exporting tracks even if it's only "Line Out".
I was looking at a Yamaha in a second hand store yesterday for $375 Ca.
Then I went home and found the exact same machine on Used Victoria for $200. It's a 10 year old machine that was state of the art at that time.
The fact that the technology has moved forward in no way makes that Yamaha any less of a machine.
It's may have lost its shine but Yamaha, Korg, Roland..... don't do rubbish!

Here's the link http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/10253532
Also makes a fine mixer.

Oh, so the minidisc isn't really a method of audio transfer, but just memory? Like a memory card or cassette, but in between?

The Yamaha MD-4 and MD-8 along with the Sony MDM X4 units look to be pretty popular.

Thanks so much for pointing those out to me. Forgot there was a medium between USB/Memory card and cassettes.

i am going to second jim lad, go check out craigslist. i got lucky and bought my br1200 for $500 dollars brand new, it retails for $900. it was still in the box with plastic. off of ebay. you should definately check for some killer deals.

So most of them are like computer programs in their own container?

I'm looking at a Fostex Mr8-MkII right now. Can it create automations for volume, effects, and EQ?

I finally got the chance to check out the Fostex tonight.
Here's a link to the song http://mixcraftlive.com/index.php?t=popup_player&mode=song_hifi&band_id=93&song_id=2147
The recording levels were far too low, -29dB (My fault) so I brought them up to 0dB and a little hiss came along with it. A second run through the dehisser would probably clean it up entirely.
This was also an opportunity to try out a new mic so a pleasant way to spend a Saturday night into Sunday morning.
It's just me, a single take and a tenor guitar so keep that in mind when you're judging the machine.
All in all,you could do worse than spend your money on one and I'll be quite happy to pass this one along to my father-in-law.
If you decide to go for it, PM me and I'll clue you in to setting it up if you have any difficulties.

In Logic there's a feature where you can put stereo imaging on a mono track. Do all multitrack recorders do this automatically? Is there a difference between stereo imaging and just stereo?

get a boss br 532. can get them on ebay for dirt cheap now. tranfer data via smart media card, then drag and drop in your daw

Back