I need some advice on my pc/based recording setup

pslobodnik

Please forgive the length of this message; I can't find any shorter way to give an accurate picture of what I need to know:

I record single-voice narration for multimedia presentaions (part-time for a non-profit org) and I'm having some excess hiss in my recording setup that I would liek to eliminate. To really sum it up, I have an electrovoice re20 mic amplified by a midiman audiobuddy mic preamp and a midiman audiophile soundcard. In order to get a loud enough input signal, I have to crank the preamp up to about three-quarters, which creates a lot of hiss, that I would prefer to not have to try to remove with soundgates and noise reducers (via software). I am convinced it's not the soundcard since it performs all it's other functions flawlessly and is a very quite card (compared to the soundblasters). As of now, the poor narrator has to be about 1" from the mic and has to speak louder than normal, which tends to create pops, not to mention a drop in the quality of the narration from the stress. Any ideas?

i doubt if the hiss is coming from the mic.

i suspect the hiss is coming from the pre-amp since that is what you are cranking up. there's nothing you can do about that but get a better pre-amp

i doubt the hiss is coming from the soundcard.

if you crank the pre-amp up until just before you start to hear the hiss how loud (in DB) are your voice recordings?

Back